Looking for info on speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought 2 yamaha PA speakers and the mid range drivers are blown in both. The model number on the backplate is S500, I've spent weeks trawling the internet for info on them but to no avail. Not a single link or picture of them, its as if they dont exist. Have any of you guys ever heard of them? can provide some pictures of them if needed. Thanks in advance!!

20170613_172854.jpg Thanks for the quick reply, these are a photo of the front and the backplate with model number on. 20170613_172925.jpg

Last edited:
those go back to the days before internet was around so finding online info is unlikely.
long before i would worry about replacement drivers i would check the crossover level controls and crossover in general.if these where the victim of feedback or long term "damp" storage it's likely the controls are "open circuit". while your in there you can check the drivers for continuity and verify what drivers are being used to determine availability of replacement diaphragms.

If you mean the horn driver? Is there a number on the driver? Like hopefully JA4208?

You can test the diaphragm for open with your ohm meter. Also possible the crossovers are at fault, but when I get in a pair of speakers with the drivers blown I usually suspect the drivers themselves and someone with a heavy hand on the volume knob.

Looks like the original is superceded. See bulletin

Attachments

• Yamaha speaker bulletin.pdf
    9.2 KB · Views: 60
those go back to the days before internet was around so finding online info is unlikely.
long before i would worry about replacement drivers i would check the crossover level controls and crossover in general.if these where the victim of feedback or long term "damp" storage it's likely the controls are "open circuit". while your in there you can check the drivers for continuity and verify what drivers are being used to determine availability of replacement diaphragms.

First off thanks for the reply. That was the first thing I done check the Xovers and level controls and their all working fine. The woofers had been replaced at some point with eminence drivers which turned out to be ripped. I've since bought new and replaced them. My plan is to do away with the hf driver that has blown turning them from three way into two way " woofer + horn". My problem is I cant find any info on the horn driver to be to know what the cut off frequency should be when I build the new crossover.

If you mean the horn driver? Is there a number on the driver? Like hopefully JA4208?

You can test the diaphragm for open with your ohm meter. Also possible the crossovers are at fault, but when I get in a pair of speakers with the drivers blown I usually suspect the drivers themselves and someone with a heavy hand on the volume knob.

Looks like the original is superceded. See bulletin

Thanks for the reply. As i said above checking the crossovers and the driver was the first thig i done and it is the driver thats blown. Yes the horn driver is JA4208 but thats working fine its the mid thats blown ( 3 way ).

Remove the mid driver and horn from the cabinet and post a pic. Is this a 1 piece combo or does the driver unscrew or unbolt from the horn? Also post a picture of the crossover.

If you are going to build or buy new crossovers then you could substitute one of several good aftermarket drivers and build the crossover around them.

Which thing is the mids? I see a woofer, a horn, and what looks like a tweeter or at least a hole right in between the other two.

My service center data base includes only a small bit of information - the model dates from 1986. It offers two bulletins, one I posted earlier, then the other older bulletin shows original part numbers:
Diaphragm assembly for squawker JA4208 NB074960
Diaphragm assembly for tweeter JA4205 NB095490

I mention this older bulletin because it refers to the 4208 as a squawker, which is another term for midrange. Thus my confusion.

Diaphragms for the tweeter are NLA.

Diaphragms for the squawker are available, but expensive.

I would consider replacing the squawker with the Eminence part (as suggested in the SB), the complete driver is less than an aftermarket diaphragm, more rugged, and replacement diaphragms are about half the cost of the aftermarket ones.

If you want a tweeter, ebay, or adapt a different part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.