Crossover setting EQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Behringer Equalizer with a sub woofer output, which I send to a JBL powered sub with frequency response of 55 Hz - 300 Hz (±3 dB). My question is, the EQ has a built in crossover adjustable from 30-200 for the sub output, should I set this at 200? My guess is in doing so, everything 200 and lower would get out to the sub? :confused:

Joined 2011
the EQ has a built in crossover adjustable from 30-200 for the sub output,
should I set this at 200? My guess is in doing so, everything 200 and lower
would get out to the sub?

That's right, it's called a low-pass filter. Experiment with the crossover point and
choose what you think sounds the best. Try at least both 100Hz and 200Hz settings.
Remember that also you have to match the woofer sound level with the main speakers.
Avoid making the bass too loud, instead make it just audible when the woofer is turned on
as a start, and go on from there.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my choices on sub placement are not great. It's a large cabinet so I have it mounted below the right speaker and would issues putting it anywhere else.

On the EQ adjustment, does the crossover also remove the low frequencies from the mains or does it just adjust what is sent to the sub output?

Joined 2011
I have it mounted below the right speaker. does the crossover also remove the low frequencies
from the mains or does it just adjust what is sent to the sub output?

Below one speaker should be ok too. The data sheet does not mention any high pass filtering
when a sub is used, so it's likely the full range will go to the main speakers. That's why experimenting
with the sub's crossover point is worthwhile, to get the blending best. If it's set too high, there can
be problems in the upper bass range. Start at 130Hz, and after matching the levels, gradually
lower the crossover point from there. Probably 60Hz is the lowest to try.

That's why experimenting
with the sub's crossover point is worthwhile, to get the blending best. If it's set too high, there can
be problems in the upper bass range. Start at 130Hz, and after matching the levels, gradually
lower the crossover point from there. Probably 60Hz is the lowest to try.

I will give it try tonight after work and post my results. I have to admit, when I did the install "6 years ago" I made the adjustment and set it at 70 and permanently mounted it in a way that made it extremely difficult to adjust. That is why I'm here now, asking for help, because my system has never preformed well and I now have the time to fix it.

That is why I'm here now, asking for help, because my system has never preformed well and I now have the time to fix it.

You only have 1/2 a crossover.. the lower half, a full crossover would also filter out the lower frequencies from the mains. You haven't mentioned what type of subwoofer this is, that and it's position in the room have a hugh impact on the performance you get from it... if it's in the wrong place there isn't anything you can do to improve things and the type of sub will determine how much processing is needed to make it work with those reflex mains. If it is a bandpass or horn loaded design for example then the system will need time alignment along with the full crossover and EQ which will require a better processor than that EQ you currently have.

You haven't mentioned what type of subwoofer this is, that and it's position in the room have a hugh impact on the performance you get from it... if it's in the wrong place there isn't anything you can do to improve things and the type of sub will determine how much processing is needed to make it work with those reflex mains.

The sub is a JBL JRX118SP 18" powered.
The main speakers, 2 JBL JRX215 passive,
Amp Crown Xls602.
Mixer Behringer VMX1000
Equilizer Behringer Ultragraph pro
Input Source CD player or Ipad

Attachments

• Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 97
OK.. here is a suggestion.. it will require some additional cables though. Connect from the mixer main XLR outputs to the EQ, and then go from both L and R outputs of the EQ directly to both inputs on the sub with more XLR cables. Then engage the THRU hi pass filter on the sub and connect from the thru outputs back to the amplifier with more XLR cables. This will install a full 24db crossover at 100hz between sub and tops and give you more drive level at the sub which will improve performance. If you're not satisfied with that then the sub would have to be upgraded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.