Behringer iNuke NU6000 Clipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Friends,
I'm new to the forum so i hope im in the right place.
I am an end user of a NU6000 Amplifier and i'm having clipping problem in my amp.
First, to my understanding clipping means the amp is being driven beyond is ability to drive the speakers connected to it.
That said, i have 1 600W RMS 8Ohm passive 2-way speaker connected to each channel in the amp (2 Speakers , 1 for each channel)
Looking at the tech specs provided with the product it says that it should be able to drive 1600W in each channel.
I was wondering why does the amp clip if it is way more powerful that the speakers connected to it, while the speakers don't even distort or anything you would expect from a 1600W load to a 600W speaker.
Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance!

Yeah you have something setup wrong, your speakers would be on fire if the the amp was really delivering full power. Make sure the switches on the back are set to Fullrange and Stereo mode, and the gains on the front are all the way up. Also make sure this amp is plugged into a good healthy AC supply, if it's being strangled on a compromised circuit or connected through some surge suppressor thing with a bunch of other equipment then it will hit limiting early.

And what are you driving this amp with and exactly how are you connecting to it?

the speakers don't even distort or anything
How do you know that?
If you play music and it does not sound distorted or clipping then it is NOT clipping.
If it is not clipping, why do you say your amplifier does?
Looking at the tech specs provided with the product it says that it should be able to drive 1600W in each channel.
If you clip a 1600W RMS per channel amplifier and have 600W speaker connected to it, you will *destroy* it, so clearly that is not happening.

How do you know that it is the amp that is clipping? The amp is just trying to reproduce the input signal with gain and lots of current into the loudspeaker. If you feed a clipped signal into the amp, the output will be clipped too. I suspect that it is your upstream equipment that is clipping.

I don't know. Thats why I'm asking . All I know is that the red clip led is lit . If you say it might be the input signal that is doing the trouble I will try to reduce the input and turn up the amp

If Leds blink but you don´t *hear* clipping:
normal Music has a high dynamic range, meaning that it contains peaks which are 10 to 20dB above average level.
Said peaks are high but narrow, do not contribute much to voice coil heating and like it or not, we are used to them, so most anybody tolerates a surprisingly high amount of clipping in Music program.

So I bet that your power amp clipping indicators blink now and then, definitely not continuously, and average power sent to speakers is 10 to 20 dB below 1600W.

To boot, many clipping indicators use "pulse stretchers" , precisely to catch very narrow pulses which otherwise would be invisible, so, say, a 10 microsecond clipped peak , which is both inaudible and practically invisible (except, maybe, in a darkened room) is "stretched" so Led remains lit for, say, 100 milliseconds which is very visible.

Now IF instead of normal Music you feed a continuous sinewave into your amplifier, I bet your speaker will be literally smoking when that Led lights ... if circuit is properly adjusted of course.

1600W in theory is twice as loud as 160W.

In reality it won't be twice as loud due to power compression in the loudspeaker.

You probably need more speakers if the red lights are coming on and it isn't loud enough.

https://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2206.pdf

Here is a real 600W driver.

Notice how doubling the power from 300W to 600W only made it get 1.5dB louder?

Last edited:
https://goo.gl/images/KaUadG

From what i understand, due to the losses in the system from the output of the amp to the drivers (cable gauge, length, passive crossover), those losses may be a factor in why you're clipping. EAW or EV has an online calculator that will give you the watts your driver sees after you put in all the variables. I've also read that an amp can clip at a low gain due to a hot signal coming in so it may be that as well. I ran my rack gear just under clipping once and by the time it got to the amps it wasn't long before they were clipping - less than 25% up.

So I don't know man. I can't prove anything. All i can do is offer a different variable to consider for your troubleshooting.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

IMO it is likely the OP is simply clipping the input stage of the amp with a really hot signal. Correct gain staging is not intuitive it would seem, I am regularly instructing users of my own gear on this as they invariably end up with the master really low and input channels right up into clipping and wonder why it's not very loud and sounds distorted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.