110dB/W Horn Line Array Cab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use to play bass in a band and was assigned the job of setting up sound. As a result I rapidly learned the importance of efficient speakers. After about 10 years of playing around with different designs I finalized this design which is very practical for small to medium sized Gigs. These speakers weight only 55 lbs with ferrite drivers yet can put out 110dB/W because of the efficient exponential horn design. Additionally they only measure 24" wide, 16" high 24"deep but open at showtime to 60" wide. Using only 2-10" drivers and 2-1" compression driver they will inexpensively outperforn the full size JBL vertex or L acoustics line arrays cabs. The JBL cabs because of their inefficient direct radiating design although using 2-15", 4-8" , 2-comp drivers can not match the performace of simpler horn speakers. My original design idea was for 1 person to be able to set up a flying rig by himself and this was accomplished. Experienced sound engineers and operators will appreciate the limited number of cabs, amplifiers, personnel needed in this hi efficiency system. By the way I am not selling anything I have turned down offers from Chinese manufacturers offering to produce these. But just letting others know of other posibilities in line array designs

I hear you but this design may be up for negociation soon and I been adviced not to show pics. But I will describe it. It is my design using 2-10" beefy drivers each horn loaded into their own folded correct length and mouth size expo horn to reproduce down to 75 Hzs. The output of the 2 horns combines anteriorly. The last segment of the horns are collapsible and open up when needed. The 2-1" comp drivers are in a diffraction horn in between the expo horns output. These cabs are meant to be stacked I use 4 with a total horn mouth 64" H x 60+W. About 116dB/W
Very compact and incredibly powerful. Would take 60+ cabs of direct radiators rated at 98dB/W to equal 4 of these, plus amps etc etc...really no contest.

you put a diffraction horn inside a bass horn...why?
you say it's a "folded" exponential bass horn topped by 2 1inch compression drivers can you at least tell us what the driver components are? where abouts are these crossed over?
can you at least show a response measurement?
can you share your "hinge" mechanism details?

It uses a curved reflector in the folded part of the better than 50" length horn but it fits into a 24" depth cab. The reflector permits passage of horn loaded high 2KHz freqs. Actual x over to Comp drivers is 2.2KHzs. The diffraction horn of the comp drivers is in between the two expo horns not inside. No plans for DIY sales but felt bad about inefficient direct radiating line arrays and thought I at least pass on the idea. How is the collapsible horn accomplished?....think of a woman´s fan the kind that opens and closes..ie. used by Flamenco dancers. It uses that kind of folding. Ends up in a hexagonal shape horn mouth for single cab use. Not easy to get horn loaded 5 octave output 80-2.2KHz out of 10" MR drivers esp in folded horn. Some tricks and beefy light cone drivers are used. For vertical stacking of cabs have to be careful with MR horn vertical exit angle and more so with HF diffraction horn vert exit angles to prevent lobbing problems. The high directionality of horns gives a longer LF nearfield compared to same length column of direct radiator. Just some ideas for the DIY....Luck

i know your interested in protecting your deal but i would be interested in finding out more about this design.
what sort of material are you using for the fan fold?
can you tell what drivers you used both for bass and also for the high end?
any time alignment problems?

Last edited:
The collapsible horn uses 1/2" (birch) plywood with cloth backed vinyl (Nugahyde) acting as the hinges and preventing air leaks. Its contact cemented and stapled in place. Less than 1/2" thick ply you have vibrations. Midbass driver needs high BL and lighter cone and a lot of tricks etc to get response to 2-2.2KHz. HF you put as much as you can afford. In reality air losses limits realistic HF to 16KHzs. Vertical exit angles of the horns both MR and HF are critical for stackable horns to prevent lobbing. Performs very well with generic quality drivers. There is about a 4 Ft - 4 ms delay in Mids to HF. Gives a pleasant somewhat HF forward presentation but for Prosound you should biamp and delay the highs
A lot of research, and testing went on in this design but the results are a breakthru. You should see the companion SubBass Horn much better than 110dB/W at 35Hzs!!

Luck I

Folded bass horn + HF horn means NO MIDS , so no intelligibility in the vital voice frequency range.
Might work for Drum´n Bass DJs though.

110dB/W at 35Hz ????????
I´ll believe it when I see it.

As a side note, if this system was actually used live, a few thousand people (at least) already "saw it" ... so youlose nothing by showing, *at least* , some pictures taken from the Audience side.

Nothing *they* wouldn´t have seen anyway.

Now if you are posting some simulation results (Hornresp anybody?) then don´t bother.

As they often say: "pictures or it didn´t happen".

Folded midbass+reflector horn it´s not a folded bass horn (read carefully). Small hinges can additionally be used to reinforce the Nogahyde. Try a 1/2 wavelength length subhorn with 4 high excursion drivers and see what happens to the output All my sub designs incorporate the compact collapsible horn design. From now on you guys are on your own. Just passing a few useful ideas you DIY´s can play with.

Best wishes

well not that we got a lot to go on from a DIY standpoint, i'd still like to know more about it...
guess i'll just have to wait and see if the deal goes through or not, hopefully it goes well for you!

with some of the threads about horn extenders for sub's a mid top with the same features would be nice from a transport logistics angle but so far we're just guessing that it's a viable idea....are you sure you can't share a bit more data like a response curve....

i know a picture would answer a lot about your design but that's not going to happen...

Last edited:
The basic ideas have been passed if you consider them worthwhile persue them, build experiment and test My version was for a 75Hzs length and mouth size horn which gave -6dB at 90°. As you close the horn mouth you narrow the directivity but now the truncated horn will have reduced output at 75 Hzs closer to the 2-3 harmonic in output. I have always been a DIY and have learned a lot as a result. You need to read when in doubt make sawdust test and measure like we all do.

P.S. Dont get too hung up on the output numbers. You know how flexible those specs are but I do not know how to make a more efficient effective cab than this.

Last edited:
"110dB/W at 35Hz ????????
I´ll believe it when I see it."

What are you showing there? Is it Nicoro´s horn? YES/NO <--check one

If yes, please show its plans, you need them to calculate/simulate anything, so share them here, curious minds want toknow such marvel.

If not, your posting is irrelevant.

A sad property of "simulators" is that you can get any desired number out of them by feeding the proper doctored data in.
Does it have any connection with reality? Not necessarily.

You didn´t read my disclaimer :
Now if you are posting some simulation results (Hornresp anybody?) then don´t bother.

I maintain my question as non answered.

Last edited:
"That's cheating.... 8 drivers. "

If you would read the Hornresp input page, it says 2P (two drivers in parallel), 15's with a huge x-max (CSS SDX15).

1800W is about 33dBW, so about 113dB/2.83V/1M into a cornerhorn (0.5Pi).

I reality it would be much lower as Hornresp assumes infinitely rigid material (depleted uranium?).

The OP claims are not credible.

Last edited:
i did read the hornresp input page and saw 0.5 pi, which approximately equals four cabs on the floor and as you said rigidly coupled.

Yeah, 110dB/w out of a single driver box is depleted unobtainium. Unless it beams like a laser, and over a very narrow frequency range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.