behringer PMP4000 Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My mixer cuts out all sound to the speakers when I plug a cord into the insert of the channel. It was working previously. I have tried different cables, so it is not the cable. I have hooked the compressor up to a different board and that worked, so it is not the compressor. I have tried different channels on the board and they all react the same. Am I missing something? Does anyone know what to do next?

I don't know you, so...

Insert jacks are a send and return in one TRS jack. Are you sure you are using a TRS PLUG? And have send and return signals on the tip and ring contacts correctly?

Plugging into any insert jack interrupts the signal path, and you will only hear sound come out if you input a signal to the right contact in that jack.

I have spent a lot of time with mixer boards. I don't claim to be an expert mind you. ,This one is stumping me.
Yes, I am using TRS jacks. It is the same TRS snake of that we have been using for years. It is a system that my son travels with for gigs. So I am not the one running it. Is there something that could be set wrong that is eluding me? Or is it possible that the entire set of inputs has a mechanical problem?

I have checked the compressor that we are using with another mixer, and it works fine. So it isn't on that end. When you use the term leads, I am assuming you are talking about the TRS cable that we are using. We are using a snake of 6 TRS cables and none of them work with it. So I don't believe that is the problem. That is my dilemma, I have tried to double check every option that I can come up with.

You mention TRS cables, but in an insert, you need special cables. The TRS plug goes into the insert jack itself, then the other end of that cable becomes two TS plus - a sort of Y-cord. What are you trying to connect to the inserts? Usually the snake takes something on stage and connects it to a remote mixer. Anything I put in an insert, I kinda expect will be where the mixer is, not back on the stage. SO at the moment, I can't think of something to send down a snake.

And just to be sure, when I say "insert jack" I mean the jack on each channel marked "INSERT".

Here is an insert cable:

Attachments

• 49078-35270101e71ffbf77e2db411707132d1.jpg
    49078-35270101e71ffbf77e2db411707132d1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 81
OK, sorry. When I heard snake, all I had in mind was 100 feet of thick cable.

SO with nothing in the inserts, the mixer works OK, but shove an insert cable into the jack and it kills the channel??

If so, get an unwired TRS plug, and short the tip and ring together. Put it in the insert jack. That shunts across the send and return. DO you still get sound, or does that also kill sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.