Best PA amp for around 600 euro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In these days of focus on low power consumption, don't you think "stupid" manufacturers who lie about their product would set the power consumption lower than it is in real life?

One would expect that but it isn't what I measure. Power draw without any output can be as low as 10-20 watts. But one amplifier I measured drew almost a constant amperage just the phase angle or power factor changed from no load to rated load.

As far as I am concerned manufacturers' power ratings are a useful guide for calculating heat load, not actual in use power consumption. When you put 50-100 amplifiers in a room heat removal becomes a real concern.

There are 20,000 watt rated amplifiers, yet they do not blow a 20 amp 208 volt three phase circuit breaker! (7,205 watts.)

Last evening I connected my DOXA 70 Signature amp (2x70w at 8 ohm, 24 kg and 2x600VA trafos). It played louder than I thought.

Maybe tonight I can try to compare the DOXA against the Samson. I know wich one will sound the best.

Right now I run them fullrange, maybe the DOXA could do the trick when highpassed. What would be the best frequence for that.

best regards
uwe

simon7000: That one has very little to do with amp efficiency, but rather audio signal shape. We don´t listen to sinus or DC voltage to let the amp go these output powers indefinitely. If you listen normal music, it has anything between 6-20db of dynamic range, and thus 1/4 to 1/100 average power. For 20000W amp that means anywhere between 200-5000Watts. Sounds doable even for single phase braker if you behave.

After some measurements of QSC amps, I´m quite happy for what I see. RMX1850HD gave me little more over listed power (1200-1300W into 8Ohm bridged) RMS sine wave, RMX 1450a did the same goof job. Other versions (2450) are basically the same, just different voltage rails, so it should do. 4050HD and 5050 too.
I can recommend these. Especially if you run them one impedance notch above their allowed setup. They´ll be indestructible workhorses. It´s needed to do some fan tuning though, as they´re not quiet for home. I´m running 1450 and 1850HD for my home audio, and I´m very happy.

Last edited:
Doxa vs Samson

So I have tried to connect the Samson again, but not in a direct A/B test with the Doxa.

The Samson has more power.

I think maybe the loudspeakers where overloaded and that whats caused the distortion. Pretty sure that the distortion with the DOXA is the amp clipping.

Will look into it one of these days

best regards
uwe

Dynacord SL1200, 1800 or Yamaha P5000S

Wich one sounds the best Dynacord SL1200 (or SL1800) or Yamaha P5000S(or P7000S)?

Is there any differnece in the sound from Dynacord SL1200 (Class A/B) to the SL1800 (Class H)?

The price difference between the big and small amp in both brands are not very big, will the added $$$$$ be well spend?

best regards
uwe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.