A recipe for lobing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I run a 2x10" TMM with crossover at 800Hz, and it does fine.

Yours would, I expect, have fairly narrow vertical directivity from 1kHz to, say, 500Hz or so. Not a huge issue, really. I prefer TMM to get the tweeter height up while keeping the centre of gravity reasonably low.

Chris

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
With low ceilings you'd have much more problems to bring the tweeter in the needed height. You could use TMM and a horn with a narrow vertical dispersion and you should go for a more or less tilt position anyway (you could use i.e. this adjustable tilt flange).

With a MTM configuration you get the upper 10" very close to the ceiling, which means more reflections of the mids. I would pretty much prefer to get more distance from the M to the ceiling to avoid the reflections and use a v-narrow horn and TMM instead since the dispersion is much easier controllable the higher the frequency. The TMM gives you a more consistent sound anyway since there are much less different dispersion coils.

There are not that many horns with only 230mm width that work well and controlled down to 1kHz. What kind of horn and driver do you want to use?

With low ceilings you'd have much more problems to bring the tweeter in the needed height. You could use TMM and a horn with a narrow vertical dispersion and you should go for a more or less tilt position anyway (you could use i.e. this adjustable tilt flange).

With a MTM configuration you get the upper 10" very close to the ceiling, which means more reflections of the mids. I would pretty much prefer to get more distance from the M to the ceiling to avoid the reflections and use a v-narrow horn and TMM instead since the dispersion is much easier controllable the higher the frequency. The TMM gives you a more consistent sound anyway since there are much less different dispersion coils.

There are not that many horns with only 230mm width that work well and controlled down to 1kHz. What kind of horn and driver do you want to use?

Hi ICG,

Thank you for your reply. I am using a Beyma TPL 150-H and 2x Beyma 10LW30M in each cab. I have experimented with crossover between 1kHz - 2kHz with little difference in sound in a 700m3 room. I love the symmetry of an MTM enclosure but will not compromise sound quality! Bass is handled by 6x B&C 18PZB100 in sealed enlosures.

Cheers, Carl.

Last edited:
Interesting on the sealed boxes for bass. Guessing you have to EQ for a lower cutoff frequency. Where do you aim for? Is it loud enough with 6x18"s?

If the distortion on the TPL-150 isn't a problem at 1kHz, I'd be inclined to run it as low as you can get away with.

Chris

Interesting on the sealed boxes for bass. Guessing you have to EQ for a lower cutoff frequency. Where do you aim for? Is it loud enough with 6x18"s?

If the distortion on the TPL-150 isn't a problem at 1kHz, I'd be inclined to run it as low as you can get away with.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I originally crossed over the TPL-150s at 1kHz and 12dB/octave as per Beyma recommendations, however on paper the distortion is about the same as the 10LW30Ms at 2kHz, which is now my crossover at 6dB/octave, and which subjectively sounds more lifelike to my ear. The 10s are flat to about 3kHz with vanishingly low distortion before falling off steeply so I feel that 6dB/octave should not cause any problems.

There is only 1 sub (yes - with plenty of eq!) built at present, but on paper again 4 of these 18s match the maximum spl of the TPLs (120dB) down to 30Hz, so with another 2 I should have enough headroom and a reasonable impedance with 3 x 8ohms in parallel. Yes, doing subs this way is power-hungry, but power is cheap these days and my goal is excellent transient response and superlative sound for smaller venues, at the expense of ear-bleeding, trouser-flapping volume - that comes later... I've got my eye on curved enclosure side panels for the satellites in bird's eye maple, cylindrical subs and sand/lead-loaded carbon fibre mounting poles too!:D

Cheers, Carl.

A quick update - with a single 10" and the TPL horns, I have to say, the TPL 150-H units are incredibly clean and a significant though expensive upgrade from compression drivers. The 10LW30Ms need some eq in their prototype enclosures, however the results are very encouraging.

I have just swapped the B&C 18PZB100 drivers from a rectangular unbraced box into cylindrical enclosures and the difference really is night-and-day; I cannot believe it is the same drive unit!

Cheers, Carl.

A quick update - with a single 10" and the TPL horns, I have to say, the TPL 150-H units are incredibly clean and a significant though expensive upgrade from compression drivers. The 10LW30Ms need some eq in their prototype enclosures, however the results are very encouraging.

I have just swapped the B&C 18PZB100 drivers from a rectangular unbraced box into cylindrical enclosures and the difference really is night-and-day; I cannot believe it is the same drive unit!

Cheers, Carl.

Picture?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.