New build DIY JBL free plans 2 X 2226 40Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at a double 15" pre built cab with handles and corners pretty much ready to load cabs for $250 each with finish already, I mean literally just slap the 2226 woofers and your done. Well I kinda measured the exterior it seems the same size as the JBL Enclosure guide plans for double 2226 but only had 2 port tubes 4" X 4" long. Now should I add 2 more port tubes of equal length to get close to 40Hz as possible?
2X15 Empty Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet Fire Red Tolex BG2X15SFRBf

I am also curious as to why connecting the positive terminal (JBL) give a forward motion of the cone? Shouldn't it be the other way since your pumping air out of the cabinet, + from amp to - on the woofer?
Thanks!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Well I kinda measured the exterior it seems the same size as the JBL Enclosure guide plans for double 2226 but only had 2 port tubes 4" X 4" long. Now should I add 2 more port tubes of equal length to get close to 40Hz as possible?
Not sure which JBL plan you are looking at... I have the 4508's, they only have two ports each, not four. Not a big deal to get to 40 Hz, easily done with some EQ.

Oh Ok if you look for it in google it'll come up JBL Enclosure Guide and looking at making the #10 plans. These are pretty old page I have seen this since the 90's but I was looking on the 4508 are those double 15" woofers as I have 6 2226H being reconed now as we speak they will be ready Monday and shipped back to me. Just curious what are the port size diameter and lenght and does your 4508 go down to 40Hz? I don't know what drivers are loaded in JBL 4508? Thanks!:confused:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
4508(2).jpg

Port:
Inside dia. = 5-5/16"
Length = 4-1/4"

4508 is just the cabinet, you can load different drivers as required, mine are loaded with 2226's.

Great jazbo8 nice to share plans now looking at it I don't know if I can fin such an inside diameter port tube I know they come in 4" and 6" diameter. I wonder if the carpet tube is 5-5/16".

Thanks for sending also how many of the 4508 do you have and are they loaded with 2226H?

Thanks

So if I use a 6" tube, I would need it shorter than the 4 1/4" length that is needed as original 4508?
I also found out this morning from a local plywood distributor they do not have 1" BB for the front baffle as original. They can get 1" BB only in 26 piece bundles at $130 a sheet of 4X8. They do stock a multi ply Fir plywood with smooth sanded finish with very little knots at $54 a sheet 4'X8'. I don't know if I can use this he cannot tell me how many plies he says either 13 plies or 15 plies. I see from google pictures that the 4508 cab with the woofer removed I see 2"x4" wood supports to keep the cabinet inert.
I can probably get away using the 1" Fir plywood for the front baffle piece and rest of the cab in 18 mm BB, (B/BB) finish. I will be using JBL 2226H for this project.

Now how to compute the port tubes using 6" diameter? Thanks guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.