Advice for Newbie -possible tapped horn PA system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, new on here and new to diy speakers as a whole. Looking to start a build for a PA. Have acquired a pv2600 and a pv1600 for 200£ in good condition and am choosing between diy sub designs.
I plan to do at first just small raves locally, most of the raves are actually just done on 12" actives round here (very small raves) so at first I do not need serious output but am on a budget. Of 300£ now

My plan goes as follows-
Build a tham15 or a cb18 and power it with the pv2600 bridged. I am not set on these designs but would like to build more speakers. I chose tapped horn because people say you can run them as singles fine, which meets my current budget requirments. If i chose the tham i was going to load it with the oberton 15xb700.

My crossover plan was to get a minidsp 2x4 to crossover speakers with inbuilt crossover and sub and run compressors (I have heard you need these why? what do they do?) and eq's. I know the minidsp is not meant for PA but it means i can use it for DIY hifi aswell, what are your opinions on this ? I could instead get a analog crossover instead to start with, like the dbx 223, this has no delay function though?

I am slightly unaware of what a delay really does, people have said you need to delay your tops if your using horn subs as the time for the sound to go through the horn delays it behind a direct radiating tweeter. This makes sense to me but how noticeable is this delay with a tapped horn like the tham15, do i need a crossover with a delay function?

Another question relates to generators, how reliable is it to run your kit off geny's? Is there any things you need to do to make a geny run a pa especially?

If theres anything i should rethink here before going and cutting wood please let me know. If anyone has any hints, tips or whatever they would be much appreciated as im only a young'un wanting some good quality sounds. :) :) Cheers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.