Project: the best PA tops using commonly available components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
passive padding or active x-over.... i'd go active and adjust the gain to the horn a resistive pad eats watts and produces heat inside the cab.

Yeah, I already have a DCX2496, so going active is an option, but was leaning towards the simplicity of fixed crossovers in the cabinets. There is something to be said for biamping though for sure. 4 pole speakons and cables make that a lot easier than it used to be.

Yeah, I already have a DCX2496, so going active is an option, but was leaning towards the simplicity of fixed crossovers in the cabinets. There is something to be said for biamping though for sure. 4 pole speakons and cables make that a lot easier than it used to be.

Yes I'd agree....DSP and Amps are so cheap these days that it hardly seems worth messing with passive. You can also put a tiny amp on the highs and be fine. Spend your money on current for the lows.

I do want to reiterate though.....The absolute cheapest way to do this is to buy a big amp and a pile of Chinese passive boxes. We used to rent DJ's a QSC RMX2450 and 8-American DJ 15" and a horn and they always came back smiling. Eight of those things on that amp will absolutely rip your head off, and you don't really need sub because you've got 8-15's. Our dealer cost on that setup was less than $1500 IIRC. One of those iNuke 6000 4-channels would work great with that type of setup.

B

I do want to reiterate though.....The absolute cheapest way to do this is to buy a big amp and a pile of Chinese passive boxes. We used to rent DJ's a QSC RMX2450 and 8-American DJ 15" and a horn and they always came back smiling. Eight of those things on that amp will absolutely rip your head off, and you don't really need sub because you've got 8-15's. Our dealer cost on that setup was less than $1500 IIRC. One of those iNuke 6000 4-channels would work great with that type of setup.

B

Well, I'm not a SQ queen, BUT I'm not convinced I can't at least match the quality of a QSC K12 or EV higher end powered box with a DIY <$300 cabinet. I just built 2 PAL12 subs and they will absolutely blow the doors off of a sub like a Yorkie LS801 for 1/2 the price. I'm thinking I can do the same with tops. I'd like to hit a price point around $300/cabinet with quality up around the K12 or higher end EV or Yamaha poletop actives. I mainly do weddings and corporate so the looks and sound are both important factors, not just SPL.

Absolute cheapest isn't the ultimate goal, but a balance between chinese crap and top end portable. I also like to DIY :)

Possible?

Well, I'm not a SQ queen, BUT I'm not convinced I can't at least match the quality of a QSC K12 or EV higher end powered box with a DIY <$300 cabinet. I just built 2 PAL12 subs and they will absolutely blow the doors off of a sub like a Yorkie LS801 for 1/2 the price. I'm thinking I can do the same with tops. I'd like to hit a price point around $300/cabinet with quality up around the K12 or higher end EV or Yamaha poletop actives. I mainly do weddings and corporate so the looks and sound are both important factors, not just SPL.

Absolute cheapest isn't the ultimate goal, but a balance between chinese crap and top end portable. I also like to DIY :)

Possible?

OK I'm with you....If you want to get in the ballpark of the K12, which I'm familiar with, you are going to have to probably go active x-over and EQ, and also you will need to pay special attention to your crossover frequency and waveguide combination. Those boxes pay special attention to directivity through the crossover region. I would consider the SEOS-12 waveguide, which I think are pretty great....The Pyle/JBL unit is pretty good as well(and super cheap). You can still stick to the Dayton drivers. You are looking at a crossover of 1.5kHz or below....the lower the better. The Meyer UPA-1P crosses over at 1K.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
It won't magically sound better but it will buy you a lot more headroom. The problem here isn't sound quality...it is headroom. In any case, with all due respect, why are you bringing up $4k apiece boxes when we are clearly on a beer budget here? I could tell the OP to go buy a set of Meyer CQ-1's and I'm sure everyone would love it, except he'd be broke.

I never suggested that the OP buy into unaffordable gear, the point was to compare a well-engineered arc array with the shortcomings of the proposed project. Then I offered practical suggestions to minimize perceptible comb filtering. I'm sorry that you perceive my input as lacking substance or intelligence. Good luck with your designs.

It won't magically sound better but it will buy you a lot more headroom. The problem here isn't sound quality...it is headroom. In any case, with all due respect, why are you bringing up $4k apiece boxes when we are clearly on a beer budget here? I could tell the OP to go buy a set of Meyer CQ-1's and I'm sure everyone would love it, except he'd be broke.

I never suggested that the OP buy into unaffordable gear, the point was to compare a well-engineered arc array with the shortcomings of the proposed project. Then I offered practical suggestions to minimize perceptible comb filtering. I'm sorry that you perceive my input as lacking substance or intelligence. Good luck with your designs.

Fair enough....Didn't mean to assert that you lack intelligence, only to assert that your aims were outside of this budget realm.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
One of the suggestions was meant to convey the idea of using whatever affordable components are chosen in a vertical arrangement, where the ear is far less sensitive to combing. The Ramsdell systems were mentioned as visual examples only. The other suggestion was meant to minimize destructive interference in the horizontal. For instance, if you have 3 splayed tops per side, the 2 outside boxes could carry vocals & drums, while the center on each side could cover all else. A beer budget system doesn't have to sound that way....

Last edited:
we should be united by a common interest not divided...
jarvissound for all we know a bunch of cheap boxes could break the budget.

and if nikmartin is trying to make his target of 300 a box, components alone, no labour factored in means that it's less than beer budget, it's more like stale flat draft.

and if nikmartin is trying to make his target of 300 a box, components alone, no labour factored in means that it's less than beer budget, it's more like stale flat draft.

In this exercise I'm looking at landed component cost only, as anyone that built this project will have their own hourly rate for DIY to figure in. For me, if it can been refined to meet the project goals, my rate + component cost should still far surpass the plastibox quality of the mid-range line from each manufacturer (QSC, Yamaha, Peavy, Alto, etc)

Horizontally arraying wide-coverage, 2-way boxes (even traps) will get you a boatload of comb filtering. For an arced horizontal array, the most recent success story would be the Danley Synergy horn, and even they need some processing. You might consider going with a simple 2-way vertical stack, similar to the Ramsdell systems, to get your 3 box array per side.

Agreed, upon reading other suggestions, sticking with a 90x40 horn and flipping the top box in the stack to couple the horns together sounds like an easy enough thing to do to help minimize comb effects. A simple pole socket in the top of each cabinet and a short section of speaker pole should keep them lined up and prevent the top one from vibrating off.

Hello All,

Some thoughts on what I see here:
Regarding combing--frankly for this application I personally wouldn't worry about it. Some of the best PA systems I've ever heard (back in the day) were technically comb-filtering nightmares. Everyone is in a tizzy about it these days, and while it is an issue to consider, some of these other issues are more important when you're trying to keep the dance floor thumping IMHO.

Brett
Agreed

Another thing you might consider, now that you have "fixed" your Alto's, is building a set of 15" boxes with 1.5" or 2" CD's. That will put you in another world in terms of output, and if you use the right 15" you can thump hard with or without subs, and if you're using subs you can thump really hard because they can work in tandem. I think this might be a better option in terms of output for dollar invested.

Brett
I think you may be right. I've been sensitive to the high cutoff of the woofer, but the 15" Dayton PA380 looks usable up to around 2k, getting very beamy past that. If I can find a CD/Horn combo that will go down to 1.5k and still have decent power handling, That might be a better option for output and the lows when not using subs.

Going active for an inexpensive box on a stick while undoubtedly sounding better is a tough sell for the added cost and setup...to your point I will probably be using an inuke dsp on these speakers so can just simply EQ out the extra highs quite easily.
I've sold myself on active being better than passive cabinets from a flexibility standpoint. Since I already own the speaker management unit, an amp for the highs like an iNuke 1000 is < $150

Yeah and $150 isnt a big step from $50 x 2 1.5k passive crossovers. Do have a slight bump in speaker wire cost but not unreasonable.

The 12" dayton woofers arrive tomorrow...haven't ordered the horn drivers just yet.

So are you building something like this project? Are you using the PE Knockdown trap cabs?

I've got a few other priorities for my DJ system right now, but these are my next project I think.

Yes, I am building something very similar, also to be used with PAL12s that I will be building soon. Not using the PE cabinets as I want to build my own.

I was looking on ebay for DH1A they are a bit more than the previously mentioned Dayton drivers but I need to explore more.

Yah a $60 compression driver that crosses down to 1k with good power handling would be great. The titanium dome Dayton's will, but at a cost of an 18k upper extension, which in truly mobile PA systems is not really a problem. I know the SQ crew would get out their pitchforks, but nobody listening to a mobile pa can or will expect to hear anything up between 18 and 20k anyway, except hiss. &#55357;&#56832; I think that may be my choice. Now to find a good 90x40 CD waveguide for < $20

Slight change of plans sub-wise. Amazon had a temporary price drop yesterday on B&C 18SW115, around 90 dollars off so I got one. I am considering an XOC TH18....hopefully I dont regret the size of the cabinet vs the PAL12......

The fact that I can get my new PAL12's into the bed of my pickup myself with some cardboard across the tailgate to minimize scratching was a key factor in going with the PAL12 vs the TH18. I don't think I could lift it, and the PAL12 is tall enough to just tilt back against the tailgate and lift/slide it in.

Yeah that might be a reason to switch down the line but for now I am making a leap of faith....the PAL12 is also a much simpler build....worst case is I can rent a trailer on occasion when I would need to transport and use rain as the excuse....I am not currently planning on using this for paid gigs, just for the occasional party here and there.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.