Speaker Ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm not sure if im in the correct form but I have a few questions about wiring speakers to change the ohms. I know that 4 (8 ohms) speakers can be wired in series to give you a 8 ohms load and in parallel to give you 2 ohms.

first question
Based on the concept of wiring 4 (8ohms) speakers in series to give an 8 ohms load, can I wire 4 (8 ohms) 2 way cabinet to get an 8 ohms load?

Also, I read online that you can wire 3 (8 ohms) speakers, 2 in series and 1 in parallel to give you a 5.3 ohms load but its not recommend to do so, instead, an (8 ohms) resistor should be used to act as a dummy speaker to make up the 4th speaker.

Second question
If i were to used a resistor to act as a dummy speaker does the resistor rms watts needs to add up to one of the speaker RMS?

Regards,

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
first question
Based on the concept of wiring 4 (8ohms) speakers in series to give an 8 ohms load, can I wire 4 (8 ohms) 2 way cabinet to get an 8 ohms load?
Yes, it doesn't matter if it's a full range, 2 way, 3 way etc.
Also, I read online that you can wire 3 (8 ohms) speakers, 2 in series and 1 in parallel to give you a 5.3 ohms load but its not recommend to do so, instead, an (8 ohms) resistor should be used to act as a dummy speaker to make up the 4th speaker.
What are you trying to accomplish? More info please.
Second question
If i were to used a resistor to act as a dummy speaker does the resistor rms watts needs to add up to one of the speaker RMS?
Regards,
Yes but why?

Yes, it doesn't matter if it's a full range, 2 way, 3 way etc.

What are you trying to accomplish? More info please.

Yes but why?

Thank you for the quick response Cal.

ok, so I have 6 (8") woofer and and 2 (1") exit horn and i was planning to build 2 full range cabinet, 3 woofer and 1 horn as a fun & cheap project. But, instead in building a custom crossover I wanted to add the resistor to make up for the 4th speaker so that I can use a standard 8 ohms 2 way crossover.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Using a resistor is a waste of power and it will have to be large. Consider this: Use one woofer and one tweeter in a set of cabinets. Those we'll call those the satellites.

Make another cabinet with 4 woofers for a bass unit. Use a plate amp to run the woofer box.
or
Make two cabinets with two woofers each. This would require two plate amps, one per box.

A "fun & cheap project"doesn't need such attention to details.
Use a 4.7uF capacitor in series with your tweeter and you're good to go!
But if you wanna go specific on that stuff, do the following:
1- Measure the drivers. You'll find several methods for that. Here's one:
Measuring Loudspeaker Driver Parameters
2- Design the Speaker box. Here's WinISD one of the best and free speaker designing programs.
LinearTeam
3- Design the Crossovers. There are several free crossover calculators on the net. winISD has some good calculator too.

A "fun & cheap project"doesn't need such attention to details.
Use a 4.7uF capacitor in series with your tweeter and you're good to go!
But if you wanna go specific on that stuff, do the following:
1- Measure the drivers. You'll find several methods for that. Here's one:
Measuring Loudspeaker Driver Parameters
2- Design the Speaker box. Here's WinISD one of the best and free speaker designing programs.
LinearTeam
3- Design the Crossovers. There are several free crossover calculators on the net. winISD has some good calculator too.

Thanks for the info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.