Open Field Systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm doing a research about PA systems in open places where the audience is moving constantly ( As shown in the attached photos). The major sound source to be played is vocals.
Casual PA live sound systems( Which are widely used in concerts) are pretty much useless here. How to reach the qualities below for such a system?
1- Clear, spread sound: No interference between the multiple drivers' output - No reverberation.
2-Complete sound: An acceptable and flat SPL from 400Hz to 12KHz
3-Other features like durability, size etc.

I know the rules to the sound and I have designed several Hi-Fi systems. I want more specific information on this exact kind of systems. Where should I look for guides to this kind of systems? What are the references? I may design a system of this kind in the future.;)

Any ideas appreciated.
Regards,
Ali.

Attachments

• Mashhad.jpg
    Mashhad.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Mecca-Holy-Shrine.jpg
    Mecca-Holy-Shrine.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Naqsh-Jahan.jpg
    Naqsh-Jahan.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 182
I'm doing a research about PA systems in open places where the audience is moving constantly ( As shown in the attached photos). The major sound source to be played is vocals.
Casual PA live sound systems( Which are widely used in concerts) are pretty much useless here. How to reach the qualities below for such a system?
1- Clear, spread sound: No interference between the multiple drivers' output - No reverberation.
2-Complete sound: An acceptable and flat SPL from 400Hz to 12KHz
3-Other features like durability, size etc.

I know the rules to the sound and I have designed several Hi-Fi systems. I want more specific information on this exact kind of systems. Where should I look for guides to this kind of systems? What are the references? I may design a system of this kind in the future.;)

Any ideas appreciated.
Regards,
Ali.

You use products like this as an example of one possible solution:
JH 90 | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
But there are many ways to design for your needs and there are many companies that specialize in that industry, many of them are names you probably haven't heard before (coming from a hi-fi background.)
JBL, Electrovoice, EAW, L'acoustics, D&B Audiotechnik, Nexo, Danley are some examples and there are many more.

djk, ndcraig, thanks for the brand names. They are so useful :spin:
I found this model most suitable for my job.
OS90 | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

And Bose, Bose has very good column speakers especially for the indoor parts. but the company doesn't provide specific data. Is there any way that I can gather more info on them?

And, Is there a guide to calculations for this kind of projects?

Regards

Also on the Danley website are profiles of completed installations that shows what products they used in the design, like this one for example:
Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

For Bose I would look into the Roomatch DeltaQ or the LT series for large scale and outdoor distributed systems. I do believe that the large Panaray horn cabinets are a discontinued product

This is a good guide to professional system design
https://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/pssdm_1.pdf

As well as this dated but still relevant series from EV
Downloadsby Electro-Voice

This is an excellent text
www.amazon.com/Sound-System-Engineering-Don-Davis/dp/0240818466/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1469207748&sr=1-4&keywords=sound+engineering

And you won't get very far without understanding some acoustics
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Handb..._SR128,160_&psc=1&refRID=FG75WKH3D9QQ8ZHY95RM

Its a bit of a black art but we would normally use tin horns in this situation. They are light, efficient, easy to set up, loud and clear for vocals and project very well indeed, thus covering a large area. There may be some overlap interference but who cares? It's not Hi Fi you are looking for, its good speech coverage and they do this really well. The sound pressure level is relatively flat within the frequency range you want and they are durable and weather proof. We have found the Japanese Toa brand make excellent tin horns in several rim sizes with or without inbuilt multi-tapped line transformers. The economics are exceptional considering bang for the buck. What more could you want?

Its a bit of a black art but we would normally use tin horns in this situation. They are light, efficient, easy to set up, loud and clear for vocals and project very well indeed, thus covering a large area. There may be some overlap interference but who cares? It's not Hi Fi you are looking for, its good speech coverage and they do this really well. The sound pressure level is relatively flat within the frequency range you want and they are durable and weather proof. We have found the Japanese Toa brand make excellent tin horns in several rim sizes with or without inbuilt multi-tapped line transformers. The economics are exceptional considering bang for the buck. What more could you want?

Bingo!
The perfect solution- The only tricky part is even sound level in the whole area.
With high-efficiency horn speakers, speaker placement is much strategic and critical IMHO.
Any further ideas appreciated.

Regards,
Ali

Last edited:
Hi, there is more to it than just pulling out some brand names. Where is the loudspeaker or where are the loudspeakers to be installed? Is the stone of Mekka supposed to utter some Koran verses? If so, then thou theoretically need a single loudspeaker radiating in all directions in the horizontal plane. A practical, visually unobtrusive approximation of this were many small fullrangers on the upper brinks of the stone. Since the loudspeaker here must be small in the vertical dimension, it cannot beam much in the vertical plane, so thou must accept a fast reduction of SPL with distance, so people far away from the stone will hear the verses much softer than people close to it. Alternatively, thou can mount a high sleek loudspeaker on the stone center, if this look were o.k.. Now vertical beaming is much better, but SPL will be marginal, if the column is too sleek, say radiating area too small.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.