Mixer Balanced Output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2016, 08:30 AM   #1
XgN is offline XgN
diyAudio Member

Default Mixer Balanced Output

Hello,

I would like to ask about mixer "Monacor Img Stage Line MMX-142". http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1023_.jpg

It has got only balanced main output. And there's no information about connecting main balanced output to unbalanced power amplifer input. Since I can't find schematics, I don't know whether it is OK to use balanced output of this mixer with unbalanced input of PA.
Old 1st February 2016, 08:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Looks like it has only got TSR jack outputs. No problem, use a mono jack lead and it will convert balanced to unbalanced. It will connect the cold signal to ground, converting it to unbalanced.
Old 1st February 2016, 09:00 AM   #3
XgN is offline XgN
diyAudio Member

Thanks for fast reply

OK, I'll do so. Just was afraid of different types of balanced output I have heard. Some of them could not be used for connecting to unbalanced inputs.
Old 19th February 2016, 10:47 PM   #4
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

You shouldn't use mono jacks because you are shorting the inverted signal to ground, and creating distortion on the output. I will probably don't harm the mixer but it's best to use a stereo jack and use only the tip and ground for signal output.
Old 20th February 2016, 04:27 AM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't think of a commercial mixer with balanced outputs that is not happy driving into a mono device. Any distortion is small, especially considering this is for live sound. That is a real basic mixer, and they would not have added extra jacks for unbalanced use. To use unbalanced you would want to ground the "unused" side.

Hide this!Advertise here!