High pitched Squealing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not an audio professional but have spent most of my life around radio and TV equipment so know my way around audio video equipment.

I have recently been installing a new PA system into my local church hall. It has not been upgraded for the last 35 years and was starting to show signs of decay.

The basic set up is:

2 x 12" JTS GM5212 condensor microphones
1 x 6" JTS GM506 2condensor microphones

These go into a Behringer UB1204 mixer. The 2 x 12" are joined up and go into one input, the 6" one has it's own input. They are all supplied phantom power from the mixer. All the problem appear to be happening before amplification so I won’t bore you with the amplifier set up.

The 12" ones are both distorting, almost as if they are overloading, yet the the gain is turned right down. All 3 have a high pitched whistle in the background which sometimes disappears when you turn the gain up.

I have looked around on various forums and various suggestions have included:

- the cables - I put cables in new, but in all fairness they were old cables.
- dirty power - The building is old and so I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at the state of the electrical system (does this give dirty power?)

Before I buy yet more equipment I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions as to what it might be.

Thanks for looking.

A few thoughts...
Does this also happen when plugging the mics directly into the mixer?
Are you sure the Behringer is fine? The UB uses a switch mode PSU if I remember correctly, maybe this one has a problem. Did you check phantom voltage? Or different microphones? Btw, tying two powered microphones together to one input is not the best idea IMHO.

Good luck
Georg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.