Portable voice amplification for the disabled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone! For my first post, I have a bit of a strange question…

Can anyone give me direction on how to create a portable PA system to amplify the voice of the disabled or other quiet talkers?

Something like this but with better parts:

Robot Check

I bought one, and it works, but you sound like you're talking through an old CB radio. It's very noticeable.

So, I'd like to create my own or find a higher-quality system.

You see, I have a slowly progressing form of muscular dystrophy. I still work and everything, but it's getting harder and harder for people to hear me in noisy places like restaurants.

I'd like to strap a battery-powered speaker to my wheelchair somewhere and then have headset or lapel microphone that I talk into. I guess it would need to be noise canceling for places like restaurants. The cheaper the better, but I'd be willing to spend up to $1000 if necessary.

Can anyone give some recommendations on parts or systems? It would be much appreciated!

OK, that is a different sort of problem. It sounds tinny, but does the Amazon thing do the job you want? I mean is it lacking in other ways than just sound quality, or is it on the right track for you?

To be honest, I can't imagine anyone being fooled thinking it was your natural voice. I think most of us would instantly recognize it was amplified, even if the sound level was normal for speech. So unless you planned to sing, the need would seem to be intelligibility over hifi tone. That is of course just my opinion. it can be limited and still sound OK.

Noise cancellation is usually something done for the listener, rather than the sound source. You would be the source here. Your telephone - real land lines, not cell phones, I can't speak for cell phones - is limited in frequency range to 300Hz to 3000Hz. Ther are no real bottom end or sparkling super highs. it is designed for maximum intelligibility without adding low frequencies that would only serve to make it muddier. it always amazes me how natural people sound to me on the phone, yet if I crank a loud 100Hz signal from my speakers as I talk on the phone, the listener at the other end hears none of it. But the phone sounds normal.

The Amazon piece says 50 watts, but I'll believe that when I see it. Maybe "peak watts" or some similar marketing baloney. meanwhile that thing is for talking to a group, like from a stage. Are you talking to a large table, or just a regular table for up to four people? You might not need 50 watts, really. Little units like this have cheap tiny speakers. If you just hooked the electronics part to a better speaker, it would likely improve the sound tremendously. A small enclosure with an 8" or 10" would have a much better time reproducing a fuller range of sound. Since you want to mount it to your wheel chair, it shouldn't matter if it weighs a bit more, should it?

It sounds tinny, but does the Amazon thing do the job you want? I mean is it lacking in other ways than just sound quality, or is it on the right track for you?

Just sound quality. I've tried using it on several occasions, and it's not just noticeable. It's distracting. It's hard to understand what I'm saying on it.

Are you talking to a large table, or just a regular table for up to four people? You might not need 50 watts, really. Little units like this have cheap tiny speakers. If you just hooked the electronics part to a better speaker, it would likely improve the sound tremendously. A small enclosure with an 8" or 10" would have a much better time reproducing a fuller range of sound. Since you want to mount it to your wheel chair, it shouldn't matter if it weighs a bit more, should it?

Just a regular table, most of the time. 2-4 people.

And it's fine if it weighs a bit more. I'll check the unit to see how difficult it would be to connect it to different speakers.

So We can assume you already have the Amazon unit? It must come apart somehow, then it would just be a matter of taking the wires off the existing speaker and connecting them to something else. A different speaker may not solve the problem, but it could be a surprising improvement.

There are plenty of commercial battery powered PA system in the pro audio market. here is just one example from one brand:
Samson Expedition Escape Rechargeable Speaker System with Bluetooth Connectivity | SamAsh

That may be too much more than you want. But these tend to be self-contained boxes, which adds to size and weight. But if you have room say under your chair, a battery pack and electronics could be mounted there, leaving only a speaker to mount up above. Then you plug a headset into the system.

Commercial systems range from not much larger than your Amazon unit to full size speaker systems. I might suggest you call the sales people at dealers like Sweetwater.com or Full Compass - Pro Audio, Video & Lighting Equipment Experts or even Musician's Friend: Musical Instruments Store. and discuss your needs. They can suggest products. I have only limited knowledge of the current products available. Google battery PA system, and many options pop up. But companies like Sweetwater are known for their customer service and sales savvy.

Rayma's Klipsch suggestion looks like it is a consideration as well. Most major speaker makers offer battery powered models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.