Wheels and Grills

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi gents
Time is getting closer for my 18s and 24s to arrive
Question one...
How to keep wheels from rattling when mounted on the backs of my double 18s and single 24 cabinet. .

Second question. .
If using acoustic charcoal foam underneath the grill ..do you adhere to the grill to prevent flapping

Just curious on others experience
Thanks
John

Q1 :rubber door stoppers or wood wedges (always kept a good stock of those in an old milk crate in the truck)the other way to go is install removable skids with the wheels on them (crafty planning can help with queston 2)

Q2 : yes, and it can be a pita to apply the adhesive depending on the type of grill you've got and too heavy a spray or application can "run" on the finish side turning your nicely finished grills into a bad imitation of cheese graters.

"ah young soundman much of the ways of the road must you learn" (to be read with Yoda voice)

Last edited:
most removable casters are for the most part too small or flimsy for cab use.(and get lost just before load out)

with wedges and casters in some cases i'd use a wedge between the wheel and frame and put another between it and the box to stop the swivel bearings from adding there maraca accompaniment to bass notes.

latex caulking (black i assume) squeezed out of the tube and applied with a small paint roller to the back side of the grill works well and helps quiet grill resonances and rattles.
i gave up on spray adhesives too much waste spray for me.

the removable skid idea does dual duty no wedges required and keeps your grills clean and damage free

Last edited:
I think by skid you mean what I call a wheel board. harbor freight sells them cheap, or make one:
image_24814.jpg

Roll the speaker in on one, then lift the speaker to the floor. Now the wheels won't rattle, plus you can use them for another cab or other large thing moving in from the truck.

if someone with the power to do so can shrink this photo, I am all for it.

As far a question one is concerned, invest in high quality casters--the type with greaseable axles and swivels--and keep them well greased. A solid cabinet design also does wonders for keeping rattling to a minimum as I've never heard the casters on any d&B subs rattle.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

You could use a two wheeled barrow for moving things around.

I turned mine into a hand truck, with the wheels just high enough to engage when the box was tilted back with the grab bar. That way I could keep the weight over the wheels which is important when the cabs get big. Hard to tell but those are 6" industrial wheels.

Attachments

• 122-2273.jpg
    122-2273.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 94
That is absolutely cool Cameron
You using crown .
What 18 inch is in there

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am using a Crown MA9000i on the lows, MA5000i on the mids, and MA600 on the highs. system sounds clean and clear through the soundcraft expression.

the cabinets took a while to complete between assemble and saving money for drivers. the subs use 18 sound 18LW2400s. the upper boxes use 2 eminence delt pro 12s and Faital Pro HF146 on a Faital Pro LTH142 horn.

Attachments

• Central.jpg
    Central.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 91
I love it. however, it's the only digital board I have experience with so I don't have anything to compare it to besides my old Yamaha analog. going from the Yamaha to the expression was really easy. I learned the basics and figured out more advanced features as I needed them. I only use a small portion of the features, but that is all I need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.