DIY upper-mid horn design help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can't for the life of me work out how to plot out the curve when the top n bottom are flat but tapered, and then also having a phase plug in the center....

Select File > Export > Horn Data from the Schematic Diagram window, choose the Rectangular Horn option, input the desired dimensions and then export the data. The width and height profiles of the rectangular horn can also be previewed, as shown in the attached example screenprints.

I will leave it to you to sort out how to incorporate a phasing plug :).

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    41 KB · Views: 107
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    41 KB · Views: 107
been scouring google for ideas.

i think an axe head shape seems most common, and i figure there must be a reason for it, and i think ive come up with a way to implement it so its not super long. once i suss out measurements, ill draw up some pics and build up the guts to start making dust.

no, other way round. i was hoping the 8" drivers would extend up to 2.5-3k, but its just not going to happen. and that will stress the d220ti who has a lower limit of 1.2k

gonna run these i think. they seem to have a good range. just need to find a suitable horn flare that doesnt look like a "public address" horn.

https://www.vfmaudio.com.au/20998/SHOW-Public-Address-Compression-driver-120-Watt-32mm-Thread-Mount/

probably run them from around 250hz up to 3-4k and take loads off the other drivers.

i will have plenty of EQ adjustment available to me with the DSP.

i experimented with those sorts of drivers back in the mid 1970's and discovered that they covered the listed band of frequencies but the variation in spl across that bandwith was 35-40db (not flat) but they are awesome for guitar "talkboxes" (peter frampton sound)
it does seem that driver spec's in general have abandoned listing spl variation across specified bandwidth (i.e. 120-12000 hz +/- 6 db that's still 12 db of variance) so be wary of thinking that just because it covers the frequency range your interested in that it's reasonably flat!

i wish my design chops where better and could hand you a complete design blueprint and spec drivers for you but i'm not there yet myself,which is why i was hoping Mr McBean was going to be a little more helpful with pointing the way(but i do think he's busy enough) on a phase plug which from my limited old school knowledge is the means to your ends.
sorry...

im confident in my simulation on HR, im just not confident in my ability to transfer that to wood.

also thinking that a set of drop in horns could still look pretty good, and essentially replicate what i very originally had in mind visually.

just need to find compression drivers that list their response graphs...

been googling on midrange compression drivers and not many have a usable xo point below around 1500hz.

im gonna give the guys from VFM audio a call tomorrow, its sunday atm, and ask about the show horns they have and see what they will actually sound like as a musical driver. i have no issue with adjusting the EQ down to a flat level if theyre peaky, as long as they dont have any major dips in the response. plan is to stay with four, having two each side.

Those kind or drivers roll off hard above 2.5Khz (if they are a good one).

The Selenium D250X is one of the better lower priced phenolic drivers on the market. The Atlas PD5VH is what Klipsch uses in the Klipschorn/Belle/LaScala.

Note how the Atlas is much flatter, goes higher, and goes lower than the Selenium (but at a much higher price too).

I have used the Selenium D220 crossed at 2.5Khz above a pair of the D250X crossed at 550hz to the LF.

http://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gm-500pb-1-horn-1-3-8-18-tpi--270-099

I used three of these horns in an MTM, the D220 on the middle horn.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.