DIY upper-mid horn design help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gonna be running 6x jbell's Ss15 subs running jb1500 woofers, 2x mt130 driven with eminence delta12a and the new top horns being discussed here.

Subs run on about 500w each, kickers at about 300 each and im sure the tops will drag about 40-60 watts a piece.

Should make a bit of noise :D

hope this helps Turk.

DSC_0125_zpssjrg0t3u.jpg

Yeh they sound ok. I'll revisit the curve once I get them up to war volume and I'll repost the resulting eq curve coz I'm almost certain it will change.

One thing I know, the drivers on their own actually sound quite nice so i presume the majority of the "sound" is created by the horn flare. It's double folded so alot of the upper mids is lost straight away. I almost bet a nice clean curved horn would be hugely better than the current flares.

well that's certainly less drastic then i thought it would be, i expected to see much more peaks and dips with varying q to get it to be smooth across the bandwidth.

Yeah, it looks like he just turned down the midrange, which is a common band aid for "rough" mids. There are probably still peaks and dips that don't sound as severe when the mids are turned down overall. War volume will tell us more.

Those kinds of horns have all sorts of mechanical resonances, and create lots of higher order moding. It will be interesting to see how much of that you can really get out with a DSP.

had them setup outside today and must admit i dont get the wireless range i was hoping for... but anyway, besides getting angry looks and slammed doors from the neighbours, i got to run it for about 15-20 mins. needs more experience on the levelling of each channel and definitely needs a big tweaking somewhere in the midbass section. but for the most part, super clean, clear upper end. so far im happy with the new additions. :)

If i remember properly it's 450-4000 and 48dB/Oct butterworth I think. It's def 48 just not 100% on bw or Lw.

When it's just the horns playing, they sound distinctly like the horns they are. But put them with the rest and it's honestly like magic. They just work. And they're loud. And they're clear.

At a level soft enough to comfortably talk over, about 30m back. They were still clean and clear even 150 metres back again. Besides being windy today which made the sound a bit choppy.

with respect to the midbass "wonkiness" polarity of the horns or midbass might be wreaking havoc with crossover summation even with steep filters. may be worth checking out.
don't know if your x-over or dsp will let invert either section or if you have to resort to flipping polarity at speaker terminals.

hi forum, sorry for the delayed response, but NYE was success! besides my behringer epx4000 being rather weak. never buy one of those ever.

the horns are amazing!

i had to adjust eq, it ended up flatter, but with more of a 2khz dip rather than 1khz. and had to take the tweeters down -12db to blend, otherwise they were litterally ear piercingly loud, and they got a +6 at around 12khz+

as for subjective reports, i felt once i got the eq right, they sounded clean, smooth and nice dispersion with no real flat spots.

"loud" is very difficult to actually describe. but for the first time my mt130 horns with eminence delta12a was noticeably unable to keep up with the horns so had to drop the horns to the level of the mt130.

next upgrade will be a new amp for the subs. and then followed by a new set of kick horns.
followed of course, by more subs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.