In need of serious bass for DJ rig. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2015, 07:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default In need of serious bass for DJ rig.

I'm searching for a lower end solution that will deliver relatively clean, undistorted low end with authority from 30Hz to 100Hz in a pro audio environment. As an up and coming local DJ I want to seriously set myself apart from all of the goofballs who play crappy music through sub par systems and parade around on a massive ego trip. Their performances erk me, and I know that in the dubstep and D&B genre that I need serious low end if I'm going to be a serious contender.

SO, thanks to you guys so far I am onto the tapped horns, my specifically I've found out about the OThorn.
At a 3'x3'x2' package with a single unit capable of pounding out 30Hz through 100hz @ 125dB +/-2db I think I have found a sound solution. I really do not want to, much less have the skill to, spends days modeling horns and drivers not to mention coming up with a construction template when it has already been done by a competent designer and has been proven.

I may use the PRV21SW4000 in lieu of the B&C 21SW125-4 but I need to figure out HornResp first before I can make a serious decision on whether or not to go with an un proven driver with shaky specifications ( there are 2 or 3 different sets of specs floating around the internet, which is cause for concern. The only reason I am considering this is that the PRV driver has a lower free air extension and this may equate to a little more potent sub bass (30hz-50hz) output, but I am not sure.

I also was originally considering a line array main but alas after a good hazing and some re-digesting of widely available information on line array's I feel i need to shelve that idea until a later date. not only due to complexity of equipment and each set up requiring it's own tweaking but because it would push the budget pretty hard and I still need to save for professional level lighting and trusses.

I'm looking over the options and could use some input, see page 2 .

Thanks for the help!

-Zphere

Last edited by DJZphere; 7th October 2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Getting smarter :)
Old 5th October 2015, 07:41 PM   #2
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

So you want to damage peoples hearing.
Old 5th October 2015, 07:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i'm waiting to see how he's gonna load all those cabs onto so few amps without problems...
and seeing as he's pretty much decided that BR is the way to go i don't think he'll respond favorably to suggestions of different designs for enclosures!
maybe finding some used FH 1 enclosures will satisfy his Peavey fetish!
Old 5th October 2015, 08:14 PM   #4
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

So you want to play with magic? Boy you should know what you're fallin for.
Once you go down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Consider very carefully what you're doing. Hang out here a while and find out how to make real bass. Then proceed with a deisgn. If you still dare.
Old 5th October 2015, 09:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

18" THs, 30Hz tuned, and as many of the best 18"s you can obtain.
You want to be able to hit each driver with 2-3kW. You want RMS and peak limiting.

Double-18" ported cabs are old-hat. Modern drivers in well-designed 1x18" THs will do the same output on about half the power.

Also, don't even consider putting any power in at the cabinet's -10dB point. Run some simulations - it doesn't end well.

Chris
Old 6th October 2015, 12:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZphere View Post
Power wise I'm going to use Crest Audio's Pro-Lite series. 1 Pro-Lite 7.5 for every set of 4 subwoofer cabinets and 1 Pro-Lite 5.0 for every set of 8 mains .
Where there goes all your SQ out the window. Are you ready for your first hard lesson, to get a line array to sound even half decent every single driver needs to have it's own amp channel AND.. yes that is a very big "and" and it was on purpose... every single driver needs to have it's own custom DSP processing applied. So yeah after you get it all built you can expect to spend many many hours with a lot of test equipment dialing it in, passive crossovers and bulk powering simply will not do here.
Old 6th October 2015, 02:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

if only the veils would part and the deep desires of every neophite could be granted just for the asking.
the audio muse can be cruel to the uninitiated.
Old 6th October 2015, 02:50 AM   #8
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZphere View Post

Eventually I want to be able to fill an 80'x200' area with compromised sound, however that is down the road.
At first I was confused, but apparently here you mean UNcompromised sound.
Old 6th October 2015, 11:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
i'm waiting to see how he's gonna load all those cabs onto so few amps without problems...
and seeing as he's pretty much decided that BR is the way to go i don't think he'll respond favorably to suggestions of different designs for enclosures!
maybe finding some used FH 1 enclosures will satisfy his Peavey fetish!
As i said, i am not set in stone in any of my choices. I am concerned about the quality of the amps as well and have been reading up in a lot of different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
18" THs, 30Hz tuned, and as many of the best 18"s you can obtain.
You want to be able to hit each driver with 2-3kW. You want RMS and peak limiting.

Double-18" ported cabs are old-hat. Modern drivers in well-designed 1x18" THs will do the same output on about half the power.

Also, don't even consider putting any power in at the cabinet's -10dB point. Run some simulations - it doesn't end well.

Chris
Forgive my ignorance, but is TH short for tuned horns? If so I am not against such a thing. Just not my forte' as far as knowledgability, at least not yet.

Where then should i begin digging on this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanski View Post
Where there goes all your SQ out the window. Are you ready for your first hard lesson, to get a line array to sound even half decent every single driver needs to have it's own amp channel AND.. yes that is a very big "and" and it was on purpose... every single driver needs to have it's own custom DSP processing applied. So yeah after you get it all built you can expect to spend many many hours with a lot of test equipment dialing it in, passive crossovers and bulk powering simply will not do here.

This is what I was afraid of, and is the reason i am here, to learn

What then is your suggestion for mains?

I truly do appreciate all input, regardleas if it ia only to mock my ignorance, i am here to learn and as stated ultimately build something serious.

Thanks,
Zphere
Old 6th October 2015, 12:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

we'll consider your newbie hazing as almost over...
TH stands for "tapped horn"
i think your understanding of "line array" is a little fuzzy but that can be cleared up later.
finding a sub design that's going to give/deliver on your expectations is the bane of most rig builders. in a good many cases by the time you find a cab that gives you what you want it's to big to fit in the truck or it's too heavy to move for one person or requires too many multiples to be cost effective.
the other thing is finding a crossover or system controller to make all this work in joyous harmony.

Last edited by turk 182; 6th October 2015 at 12:58 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!