Quality boombox/PA for Opera singer small audience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read on these forums there are some very good knowledged people who understand how to deal with amplificators and speakers.

Now what is wrong here, people telling me their personal experience with family members and friends and trying to discourage me from making this stuff, really guys you are not encouraging!
Ok, I'll encourage you: go build your crappy harebrained car radio PA and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Im no PA expert but I bet that one or two of the diysoundgroup.com seos speakers with a decent mike/amp would be your best bet. Alchemy 8 is probably minimum or one of the bigger models. Portable enough, efficient enough, and cheap enough, but still some quality sound that covers the full vocal range.

"The box internal sizes, approximately WxDxH 350mm x 200mm x 350mm"

You could fit Celestion Vintage 30 in that box:
Classic - Vintage 30 - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

Covers the vocal range quite nicely and as efficient as anything you can put in box that size.
No need for any crossover stuff, just be sure to take 8ohm version, so you get more power from your amplifier.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree here. That driver does nothing above 4kHz and will be beaming like crazy up there anyway.

I'm with everyone else - you don't need a small PA for an Opera singer :D

I saw a programme a number of years ago, I think it was about the Leeds Opera Company? - and a scheme they were doing going around primary schools promoting opera and singing.

The only part I can remember (because it made such an impression) was right at the beginning, where this woman introduced herself to the school, in morning assembly.

She asked the entire school (300+ kids) to scream and shout as loud as they could - then she sang a single note right over the top of them :D - you couldn't hear the kids for the note she sang.

I also agree with the rest that any mention of in-car equipment is completely pointless.

Sorry if it's already been asked, but which voice type? Big difference between a bass and a soprano, and that will determine the lowest frequency you need to reproduce, which in turn... (Hoffman's Iron law).

As for opera singers being louder than 300 school kids screaming, no doubt about it, but I guess he/she isn't going to be singing at the top of his/her lungs all the time so I don't think some form of amplification is such an outrageous idea, maybe you want the audience to hear the pianissimos too... For which I would say that a compressor of some kind is going to be a must, as some have already pointed out.

What's your budget?

Cheers,

Cabirio

Totally ludicrous idea a trained opera singer needs any help with that.
sreten, do you know how well trained he/she is? How often he/she is going to sing, in front of how big an audience, in how big a venue, how much does he/she wants to strain her voice, etc.? I assume the OP will have run the little PA idea by him/her and he/she didn't find it so ludicrous, otherwise he wouldn't be asking, but I don't know, you may be right, in which case I apologize for the waste of bandwidth.

Cheers,

Cabirio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.