Need suggestions for Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm new here.. I just got Yamaha DSP-R496 5-Channel Amplifier from my friend... i need suggestion regarding speakers.. PLease tell me which speakers are Loud + clear sound as per my amplifier specs... guys 1 thing more.. i dont want to use this as a Home Theater .. i like to use it as a Small Dj PA sound system... is there any way i can use speakers like in pa system 12inch or 15inch??

My Amplifier Specs
Rated output Front 65W + 65W (6Ohm)
Center 65W (6Ohm)
Surround 65W + 65W (6Omh)
Practical maximum output (JEITA) front 95W + 95W (6Ohm)
Center 95W (6Ohm)
Surround 95W + 95W (6Ohm)
Total harmonic distortion rate of 0.025% (CD, etc.)
SN ratio 96dB (CD other), 80dB (MM)
Power consumption 185W
Total : 475W

Thanks in advance..

Well, PA speakers are exactly what you want to use in a DJ PA system.

Are you planning to do a lot of DJ work? Or is this just for the occasional private party at your home?

PA speakers will be a lot more efficient than stereo speakers, but generally won't be as full range. But no one sits in the sweet spot to actively listen to DJ music. It always accompanies dancing or partying, and no one in the audience is going to listen for or notice those sparkling highs at 10kHz. And dancers often enjoy the exaggerated thudding of powered subwoofers added to the system.

Well, PA speakers are exactly what you want to use in a DJ PA system.

Are you planning to do a lot of DJ work? Or is this just for the occasional private party at your home?

PA speakers will be a lot more efficient than stereo speakers, but generally won't be as full range. But no one sits in the sweet spot to actively listen to DJ music. It always accompanies dancing or partying, and no one in the audience is going to listen for or notice those sparkling highs at 10kHz. And dancers often enjoy the exaggerated thudding of powered subwoofers added to the system.

i just want to use for occassionally like small birthday parties around 50 to 100 people max... so please suggest me good speakers should buy for this amplifier...

Rated output Front 65W + 65W (6Ohm)
Center 65W (6Ohm)
Surround 65W + 65W (6Omh)
Practical maximum output (JEITA) front 95W + 95W (6Ohm)
Center 95W (6Ohm)
Surround 95W + 95W (6Ohm)
etc
SN ratio 96dB (CD other), 80dB (MM)
Power consumption 185W
Total : 475W

so you'd rather use all 5 amplifiers
Does the console allow for that ?
Would you display all the speakers around or one (double) set >> a multi way speaker ?
Each amplifier real power is 65 W so it must be a pair of power transistors and not a double pair or triplet but...I don't know :scratch:
So power is distributed to a set of speakers each receiving signal from the consolle ( the receiver ) that must split the signal available at AUx In or Phono input ?

Why don't you just build a small system it is better because you can use more reliable woofers for this type of use. There are so many designs here and in other sites. I have been building and enjoy DJing for the last 35 years on and off and I never buy store bought speakers. And you really learn about setup and system integration so you can use it to max ability of your sound system. For a small 50-100 type parties use a 15" woofer and 1" CD horn. The 15" woofers should be enough to give at least 50Hz content which is where most DJ or correct me most dance music have.

Last edited:
Ok i just read the amount of power it looks like it's only rated 65 W per channel I started in 1977 for a DJ gig for an organization there were 200 people in a venue they wanted smooth relaxing music for the first couple of hours then dancing for the next 2 hours. I had home stereo system which comprise of Technics 50 watt per channel stereo receiver a cheap Numark 2 channel DJ mixer, an ADC EQ and 2 Altec Lansing Model 14 I think this was the model number I don't remember anyway this monitor speakers were loaded with a vented 12" woofer and a nice sweet sound 1" CD in a 120X40 degree Altec plastic horn. With this setup I had the speakers on top of a table 12' long on each side about 3 feet above the dance floor and my mixer,turntables and receiver on the middle of the table I was using 2 Technics Belt Driven turntables. I was able to fill the 30'X30' wood dance floor with music most people dancing I remember maybe 10-20 at a time. When I played something of a hit I remember filling the whole dance floor and of course that's when a dumb DJ starts cranking the mixer to overdriven and saw the 12" woofers really moving (Xmax wise). It was do or die at this point and always hit the red peak lights on the mixer and at times steady red. LOL! It can be done when your resources (financial) are starting to come in then maybe you can buy a better amp like Crown, QSC, Crest and many more. I currently have a 3 way sound system capable of 500 venue. I bought the amps on eBay 2 were burnt channels (one side) I sent them to the manufacturer to have them refurbished and now I am reassured they will work like factory new, but I like these amps because I use it professionally like weddings and Bday parties which I have one in 2 weeks. I just bought an amp rack and wiring it as we speak. Anyway your amps should be good for a small 50-100 party you should just not overdrive them since you don't have a xover/limiter. Most 15"X1" speaker cabs in an appropriate design is rated minimum 96dB at 1 watt input.

Cheapest pro 15" I would use is an Eminence Delta Pro 15" woofer and Selenium 220 1" compression driver (B&C DE250 very nice sounding with lower crossover point 1.6kHz) which will be nice for a 15" by 1" combo diy pa combo.

Last edited:
Efficiency is everything with amplifiers under 200 watts. Use a Delta Pro 15 in a 6 cubic foot vented box. They are useable with 1.6-2k crossover point (most 15's aren't) and are about as efficient as you'll get and still be 50 Hz capable. Well worth the extra $45 over the stamped frame version.

With a home stereo amplifier being used like this, DO NOT TRY to use low impedance dual driver speakers to solve the efficiency/sensitivity problem. You'll eventually end up creating a fireball. A 15"/1" by comparison is much easier to drive.

can i use 15' speaker/woofer with this amplifier...?? coz i dnt want to buy another amplifier.. If YES , then how much wattage speaker/woofer required to work with this amplifier...
Surround receivers are not built to be used constantly at high volumes, as professional amplifiers are.
Even the lowest cost professional woofers are at least 200 Wrms, so yes, you can use any 15" with your receiver. But, the real problem is that Yamaha DSP-R496 is seriously lacking in power - you should buy minimum 400 Wrms/4 ohm (per channel) professional amplifier to make party outside.

Last edited:
You can always sell your 5 channel amp (eBay) to get a cheap $300 Crown XLS amp. If you want to do this the right way from the beginning because I know you will eventually be asked to DJ other parties and believe me people are willing to pay just to have music in their special occasions. And you want powerful, reliable great sounding equipment there's just no two ways about it. I don't want to give you a bad advise listen to people on here because the people here are experienced and know their equipment.

Has nothing to do with "constant current". PA amps are just built to take more punishment than home stereo equipment. Pretty much every DJ started out with PA speakers - after blowing a set of home speakers first. Usually before their first gig.

For a while it will actually work - the PA (or back in the day "disco") speakers on a home amp. Eventually you graduate to a real PA amp - when you have the $300 to spend, or after you get tired of replacing the output transistors in the home amp(s) you've been using. Back in my day you couldn't buy a PA amp for $300. They were more like $1000 which I didn't have. I used an old Fisher reciever for a long time before upgrading to a large "home" amplifier - which many were using in thier PA rigs.

Thanks for the response about the amp. This is why i like active speakers - i honestly don't know how to match an amp to a driver or speakers. I know the basics but i think there can be more to it than that.

My 2 cents on this subject in regards to speakers. I used to do a lot of Catering as my mother owns a Cafe and Catering business. So i have been to countless weddings with DJs playing the same stuff you hear at every wedding - someone want to do the cha cha slide?

Most of the time i hear kind of crap speakers to my ears being played - i think Fender might be the absolute worst i usually hear. BUT some of the show pro speakers and horn loaded speakers sound amazingly real to my ears and every bit as good as hi-fi speakers but with louder output.

I think it was a set of Electro Voices i was amazed sounded so real to me - in all honesty i don't think i have heard a muted trumpet sound so accurate before. I am not recommending to buy from that company though just saying what i've heard subjectively. I actually think there might be better bang for your buck out there.

I haven't done a whole ton of research into big speakers like this as i want small speakers for my recording studio but i honestly think that you might do better buying some if you do some research. Most of these PA or DJ type speakers use controlled directivity and have very smooth responses when it comes to vertical and horizontal coverage that would be insanely hard to make work doing DIY.

I only usually see US companies used for "Pro" speakers but i think maybe the Canadians and English companies might have good or better. A Company i think is overlooked is IAG who bought out all the big English speaker companies. Wharfedale Pro looks like they may have some decent bang for your buck controlled directivity speakers and speakers with very wide dispersion for a dance floor. I just bring these guys up because i live in the US and we really have no idea that the English even made speakers it seems.

If i had the money a while back, there were going to be some weird ones i really wanted to try out as mains just for fun in my old studio.
4190 | Wharfedale Pro - Sound Reinforcement and Live Sound Equipment

I just think in the end if you do competitive research on a decent PA speaker you could come out with a much better quality sound and save some money by just buying and not going the whole DIY route. Many of the speakers made for pros are controlled directivity and that just requires a lot of work matching drivers, making horns, and crossovers to beat them on your own.

I am not recommending any certain speaker just telling you that i have heard some of these PA speakers basically smoke a whole lot of really expensive Hi-Fi speakers and that if you shop around and maybe do some research you should be able to find something that will sound great for cheap.

I just think in the end if you do competitive research on a decent PA speaker you could come out with a much better quality sound and save some money by just buying and not going the whole DIY route. Many of the speakers made for pros are controlled directivity and that just requires a lot of work matching drivers, making horns, and crossovers to beat them on your own.

The problem is that a $199-special isn't going to have anywhere near the controlled directivity of an $800 professional box. And won't handle much more power than that receiver can produce, nor produce any bass below 100 Hz whatsoever.

Also, I may be off base, my background is pro audio, but when I see 65 watts at 6 ohms, like that Yamaha spec says, I am left thinking what we really have is a maybe 50 watt amp at 8 ohms, and the amp not happy down at 4 ohms. Since the usual PA cabinet is 8 ohms, that is a consideration, You'd wind up with one speaker per channel and no ability to double them up on a channel. You won't find any commercial PA amps with an 8 ohm minimum, they all rate down to at least 4 ohms and many to 2 ohms or even lower.

(My favorite spec is the Crown MA-10,000, rated 10,000 watts into half an ohm.)

COmmercial PA amps are much better protected that home stereo amps, they will take more abuse, both physically and electrically.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.