Bose L1 type PA build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2015, 02:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bose L1 type PA build

Hi there,
I'm a noob here and looking for advice. Had a look around and forgive me if this is covered elsewhere.

I was thinking of building a LA PA system in the Bose L1 fashion.This would be for my bands vocals and acoustic guitar /blues harp primarily and we play in small enough venues but I would like to have plenty of headroom. Maybe you guys could help with my thinking (or lack of). I figured looking around the posts here that the Faital 4" speaker would be a good unit to use. I thought a column of these each side (12)and a 15"Sub(maybe 18") and not sure what to use as hf drivers or how many. For a really good quality sound with plenty of power what ratio of power would I need between Bass Mid and Top assuming a 3way active system (I am leaning towards 2kW bass).Any help with choice of hf driver and any pointers would be appreciated. One of the main objectives here is a portable light weight system all things being relative

Thanks in advance
Ed
Old 24th August 2015, 05:58 AM   #2
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I would probably use the 3FE25 Faital Pro driver, Art Welter here likes them for HF.

Click the image to open in full size.

The guys at Speakerplans like them too, using them in lines of 8~16 drivers.

16 drivers would handle 640W on program material. I would cross them around 150hz to a dual 12 PPSL cabinet, about a 2' cube.

Click the image to open in full size.

(cat is optional)

This is a quad 12 PPSL, a dual would probably all you need. This one goes to 27hz and can handle 2.2KW on program material. Each pair of 12s will have the same output as an expensive 18, but with much less distortion, and lower cost.
Old 25th August 2015, 10:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi djk

Thank you for your advice. Its very helpful. Is there a drawing for the PPSL 12". A 2' cube would be an ideal small size for us. Haven't seen that design before.
Does using the 3" woofer mean I dont need a crossover to a HF bullet/tweeter and could just use a 2 way system.
I was thinking of using a 4" waste (PVC) pipe (a new one ) to house the array in sections. The material should be easy enough to work with. Any reason why I shouldn't go that route.
Again thanks for your response..

PS my dog loves an optional cat..
Old 25th August 2015, 11:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just found this link:
Speaker Project - Kuze3201 Line Array -- 8/18/2011
Darren Kuzma does mention issues with the high frequency :

Several people noted that the high-frequency reproduction lacked some "life" and "air".

He used the Tang Band W2-803SM. If I use the 3FE25 Faital Pro driver as djk suggests, would I need to go to a 3way active system and add HF bullets to avoid those issues.
The design approach looks good but I feel I need to trawl for more info before I crank up the tools. Any help greatly appreciated
Ed
Old 26th August 2015, 08:25 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"Does using the 3" woofer mean I dont need a crossover to a HF bullet/tweeter and could just use a 2 way system. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=630lO8iPJHk

Doesn't sound like it needs a tweeter to me, just cross it at 150hz (as in the video).

Multi-use Speaker? - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

Seems to have more HF than the compression driver.

Shop Freedom 4" x 4" x 6' Vinyl Fence Post at Lowes.com

"Any reason why I shouldn't go that route.
Again thanks for your response.. "

I would use a plastic fence post, commonly available in 4" and 5" sizes. You could also add a metal face if desired. At Speakerplans some are using a laser-cut mounting plate.

"Is there a drawing for the PPSL 12". A 2' cube would be an ideal small size for us. Haven't seen that design before. "

I'll have to draw it up again. I did one about 30 years ago with some similar Eminence 12's. My friend's nephew used his as part of his DJ system with a 10" + HF horn top.

Last edited by djk; 26th August 2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 26th August 2015, 08:41 AM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Veranda White Vinyl Fence Post (Common: 5 in. x 5 in. x 8 ft; Actual: 5.0 in. x 5.0 in. x 96.0 in.)-73010700 - The Home Depot

Note that you could cut this in half and have two 48" cabinets. The shot with a gate attached to one of these posts suggests they are pretty solid.

Last edited by djk; 26th August 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 26th August 2015, 06:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

djk,

Thanks again for your advice.
This should be enough to get me going for a while. I'm in Ireland, those posts are not widely available but it would be an easier build. I have downloaded Hornresp and will spend some time working out how it works etc. Lot of terminology. Do you know of a good reference for all the technical. I'll start with T/S.
I appreciate your help
Ed

Hide this!Advertise here!