more bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there I am useing a behringer ep4000. Fbq3102 eq and 15" peavy speakers and they sound nice and very powerful but I want more bass and iam un sure as how to do this I don't want to add subs its the signal what needs the extra bass. so if there's any bass heads out there what would you thinks best I don't have a mixer just a cd player

The problem is that, more or less reliably, the lower the frequency is, the more power it's going to require - so increasing the bass end of your speakers is going to make them sound less loud. Adding an extra loudspeaker for LF extension, with its own amplifiers, will add power to the total, making a net loudness increase (and will reduce intermodulation, improving comprehensibility at the same time.

If the cabinets were intended for mainly vocal sound reinforcement, rather than music reproduction, it is quite possible they sealed the cabinets off to produce more punch, less shake - an acoustic high pass filter. In which case the speakers themselves could go lower, with appropriate porting - but calculating this, and doing the modifications sufficiently neatly and solidly to match the original could be very hard work (though, it being Peavey, the manufacturers will be very helpful), and even then increasing cone excursion might well reduce the power before distortion.

"The problem is that, more or less reliably, the lower the frequency is, the more power it's going to require "

Didn't read my post about the MaxxBass?

MaxxBass works by psychoacoustics, and you will have less cone motion, less distortion associated with same, and sound like the speakers have more deep bass.

MaxxBass can work but one of the best improvements you could do is replace the woofers in the cabinet with ones with more bass potential (lower Fs, greater XMAX, etc..) one that comes to mind is the eminence 3012HO, there may be a 15 inch equivalent but without rebuilding the cabs/ports to account for a lower tuning the bass won't go lower.

You can boost the bass all you want with the EQ but you really need subs because fullrange speakers aren't designed to produce bass like dedicated subs.

....or, you can just add subs....

If you push too much bass thru your Peaveys, you will distort / modulate more delicate frequencies in the vocal range.

The problem is that, more or less reliably, the lower the frequency is, the more power it's going to require - so increasing the bass end of your speakers is going to make them sound less loud. Adding an extra loudspeaker for LF extension, with its own amplifiers, will add power to the total, making a net loudness increase (and will reduce intermodulation, improving comprehensibility at the same time.

Quoted for truth.

Boosting the bass to a "full range" speaker usually results in little more than blown woofers. Sometimes, blown amps as well.

I speak from experience, having reconed literally hundreds of woofers that were treated exactly this way, by their owners...

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.