MACRO TECH 1202

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The correct method is not based on % power loss, it's based on DF.

A 25% loss is about 1dB or so.

It's a good idea to maintain a minimum DF=20 for the length of wire and your driver impedance.

12ga wire is 1.58Ω/1000ft

DF=20 for 2Ω load=0.1Ω which is 31.6ft of 12ga.

Last edited:
correction

ALT!! i realised that i told i ******** telling that my cable has and impedance of 2 Ohm. Now i explain better.
the resistance of a cylindrical conductor is equal to R=p*L/A
-p is the electrical resistivity in ohm*m;
-L is the lenght of the cable in m;
-A area cable in m^2.
with p=1.68*10^-8 , L=4 and A=5*10^-6 (because i use a cable with 5 mm^2) it results R=0.01344 Ohm.
Now the DF seen by the subs is DF=8/(Zout+R)=8/(0.008+0.01344)=373 .....So in the end the subs doesn't see a DF of 1000 but about 1/3 of this value.
The choise of the cable is really very important not for the real power lost but for the real DF seen by the subs.
I will check my result by testing my cable with a TESTER and i will tell you if my count were right.

If you want tighter bass, add power supply bypass caps.

Thought I'd pull this up.

Would seriously recommend AGAINST doing this. More caps means less ripple, means less time for the transformer to charge them. The transformer has to pass more current in less time, so your R*I^2 losses go up, transformer gets hotter, and shortens the life of any nearby components, assuming the transformer itself can handle it.

I'd trust the engineers that built the amp to have got the balance between transformer, rectifier and capacitor storage right.

Chris

I think here djk is referring to small (100-470uF) caps to decouple the power feed inductance. In some of these newer amps where the whole power supply is on the PCB with the output transistors it won't make much difference. In an old-school amp with the separate power supply, control PCB, and output transistor bank it can clean things up a lot for the output transistor bank to have its own local decoupling.

Thought I'd pull this up.

Would seriously recommend AGAINST doing this. More caps means less ripple, means less time for the transformer to charge them. The transformer has to pass more current in less time, so your R*I^2 losses go up, transformer gets hotter, and shortens the life of any nearby components, assuming the transformer itself can handle it.

I'd trust the engineers that built the amp to have got the balance between transformer, rectifier and capacitor storage right.

Chris

Sorry Chriss, but are you talking about caps? caps means capacitors? I have speaking of CABLE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.