Crown XTi 2002 or Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!

Just to give you a little background information, I'm going to need some juice for my DYI speakers who will have an active section, each with four 12" woofers. 800W @4 ohms per channel is the bear minimum and the requirement of DSP is a plus because most likely I will need to do some EQ and apply some filters. I would also like to use a Linkwitz Transform as it will be a sealed box.

Does anybody have experience with these two options? Are they both capable for instance to implement a shelving filter (or Linkwitz transform) with lets say 15dB gain? And what about the minimum crossover frequency for the HP filter?

The literature and manuals available are not totally clear and I never heard any Crown amplifier although I have a Behringer iNuke already for my subwoofers.

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot that Behringer announces maximum power instead of RMS so I would have to consider the higher model which about half the price of the Crown: the iNuke NU6000DSP.

Last edited:
From what I have read the Crown sounds much better in fullrange applications but the Behringer has a much more flexable DSP processing system, and you should be able to download the control software for both and explore it's functionality without any amplifiers connected. The NU6000 produces about 2kw per channel at 4ohms with very demanding test tones, do you need that much power?

This is only for the active woofers so we're talking about low frequencies only. I don't need 2000W but the iNuke NU3000 is bellow 650W@4 ohms (RMS) so it's a little under my minimum requirements for full linear excursion. Anyway the price difference between the iNuke 3000DSP and the 6000DSP is not that significant. I've downloaded already some application from Crown called HiQnet Band Manager but I can't do anything with it as everything is disabled. I didn't yet try the DSP application from Behringer but I will.
By the way those power figures from Crown are peak or RMS?

There is a Band Manager "Demo" that works without amplifier connected.
From Crown, the latest software they recommend is Audio Architect.

Thanks, I found this Demo mode and already played with it although I didn't try the Architect.

I don't know if the demo is different from the real thing but I don't expect it to be. I found the SW from Behringer to be much more intuitive than Crown's. They both have the same limitations as the minimum frequency for anything is 20Hz and the maximum gain is also the same (15dB). Crown has the option for defining delays whereas I couldn't find this on the Behringer. On the other side this one permits shelving filters with 6db and 12db/octave slope. The iNuke has something they call Dynamic EQ but the Crown has this 'Subharmonic Synth'. In either case I don't know what are the use cases. Basically those were the major differences I noticed.

Still confused about the specs from Crown tough and wondering which ones are closer to reality, as many manufacturers tend to be too optimistic.

Besides that, in either case I won't be able to define any filter bellow 20Hz which can be a problem but then again perhaps not.

I have an XTI6002 and per my own measurements I, can say Crown does not inflate power figures, definitely not for the 6002, most likely also not for the other models. iNuke6000DSP is less powerful than XTI6002 (I have this one too), they do inflate the numbers, but it will still do about 2 x 1800 real Watts into 4 Ohms, which is great for the cost. Of course, there is no "2 x 3000W" for the inuke as stated by their marketing.

Dynamic EQ is an EQ that comes into play only if some defined level threshold has been reached.
With Dynamic EQ you can have different EQ for different sound levels.
Subsynth is only useful for subwoofer use. It will add frequency content one octave below lowest tone and can fatten up the bass quite a bit, but usually requires to either reduce overall bass loudness or to buy much bigger / lower tuned subwoofers, otherwise overexcursion may kill them.

I have an XTI6002 and per my own measurements I, can say Crown does not inflate power figures, definitely not for the 6002, most likely also not for the other models. iNuke6000DSP is less powerful than XTI6002 (I have this one too), they do inflate the numbers, but it will still do about 2 x 1800 real Watts into 4 Ohms, which is great for the cost. Of course, there is no "2 x 3000W" for the inuke as stated by their marketing.

And these real watts are peak to peak or RMS?

Since you have both models what is your opinion about them?

RMS.
My opinion:

crown XTI is great! no discussion about this. but it comes at a cost.
iNuke6000DSP: just bought it because of the incredible price, betting that the price will increase. iNuke has noisy fans, and feedback before the LC filter (not so good for HF output impedance), but cost is king!!

One thing to consider- if there's ever trouble with the amp- Crown has at least some after-the-sale support (i.e, your repair tech can probably get documentation from Crown, to diagnose problems, and parts are generally available from Crown for almost eveyrthing). OTOH, Behringer not only does NOT supply repair documentation- but there is absolutely NO repair parts support, for any item not inside warranty (and in fact, they usually don't repair anything under warranty- they just swap out the unit for a new one, that they've held back in reserve, for warranty claims).

Once a Behringer unit is over a few years old, you can pretty much forget about finding repair parts, in many cases. Once their warranty replacement obligations are satisfied and the stock of held-back units for replacements are exhausted, they don't carry ANY repair or replacement parts WHATSOEVER. Nor do they supply documentation, in many cases.

In short, a Crown can generally be kept up running, for quite a long time. If a Behringer breaks, and it's not under warranty- you might as well usually just throw it away. With the older Behringer amps (the ones with conventional power supplies), a tech may well be able to figure out, from dead reckoning, what to do to repair a unit- but with the switch-mode power supplies in the iNuke series- you can pretty much forget about being able to diagnose those, without exact factory data, and parts- which nobody has, and nobody can get.

BTW: I'm speaking as someone who works with gear maintenance quite a lot- I've gotten this same report from pretty much every pro repair tech with which I've ever broached the subject...

Regards,
Gordon.

Hi guys. Thanks for your insights. I eventually decided in favour of the Crown. The lower distortion figures as well as my notion of a stronger brand image were decisive factors in my choice. I was not aware of those facts regarding the Behringer maintenance though.
I already have an iNuke 6000 and hope it will keep going for as much as possible.

behringer inuke 6000is great bang for buck, but crown has great support. I got the offer to be telephone walked through a firmware update on my xti6002 by the customer service and they respond in minutes, not hours if they are online, which is - of course time shifted to europe where I live.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.