Sound Engineer Advice needed - Night Club setup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2015, 04:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sound Engineer Advice needed - Night Club setup

I am in charge of setting up the sound system in a new night club at a college. It's a very open 1 floor bar. Basically a giant room with no barriers or obstacles. We have everything hung up and in place including 5 15in EV PA's and 5 18in EV subs.

My question relates to getting the most out of every speaker without ever having the chance to blow them. Also there are several speaker crossover options such as low and high pass filters for the subs and what looks like a
_/-\_. I am unsure if anything should be changed from just everything set to normal without applying any filters or should some be set to the high pass or low pass and others stay the same. Also the subs are on the ground while the highs are all hung up.

Also should I keep the highs on full range since the subs are on the ground and not next to them?

Any advice at all even not pertaining to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe possible ratios between the lows and highs for the different speakers.

Thanks,
Old 6th April 2015, 05:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What are the speaker models?
Is there a processor in the system for crossover and EQ?
How are the speakers deployed in the room? Got a diagram?
Old 6th April 2015, 05:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would make sure the amplifier is not more powerful than the speakers.
But you also need to make sure the amplifier wont be driven into clipping.
Make sure the mixer doesn't go above 0db.

I have been running a mobile disco since 1980 and obeyed the above rules and have never blown a speaker.

Its not mandatory but I also use a speaker protector to catch DC going to the speakers and disconnect them if DC is found.
Old 6th April 2015, 06:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

TX1181
18-inch subwoofer

and

TX1152
15-inch two-way full-range loudspeaker

There are 5 of each.

for the highs the are located in the room represented by ">" and the subs on the ground by "o":

|
| |||{DJ Booth}
|
|---------------------<|
|>--------------------| o
| ---------------------| o
|---------------------<| o
|>---------------------| o
|---------------------<| o
|-----------------------|
|------------------------|
|
Bar faces long ways down with the booth in the top right. The top right speaker is also facing diagonally towards the dance floor. This crude diagram is the dance floor while it goes about 3x farther down to the entrance. This bar can fit about 2000 people when completely full (the fire marshal might not like that though)

Last edited by skrobonk; 6th April 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 6th April 2015, 06:48 PM   #5
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrobonk View Post
should I keep the highs on full range since the subs are on the ground and not next to them?
The full range speakers will play louder and more cleanly if some of their lows are filtered out.
Try removing their bottom octave and fill that in with the subs. The subs go up to 160 Hz,
so try cutting off the full range speakers somewhere around 100Hz to 150Hz.

Last edited by rayma; 6th April 2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 6th April 2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Just a thought. Why not invest in a consultation? Instead of asking what you hope are the right questions, and going back and forth on the internet, just pay someone who knows to come over and assess your system and set it up optimally. If there are no pro audio contractors in your area, I have to imagine there are sound men from working bands who would be willing to help for free or a reasonable fee. Even if they charge $200, I bet it would be worth it.
Old 6th April 2015, 07:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
The full range speakers will play louder and more cleanly if some of their lows are filtered out.
Try removing their bottom octave and fill that in with the subs. The subs go up to 160 Hz,
so try cutting off the full range speakers somewhere around 100Hz to 150Hz.
How would I go about filtering that out? With the low-pass filter that is on the back of the speakers? And should I apply that to all 5 or just a couple in strategic locations?
Old 6th April 2015, 07:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Just a thought. Why not invest in a consultation? Instead of asking what you hope are the right questions, and going back and forth on the internet, just pay someone who knows to come over and assess your system and set it up optimally. If there are no pro audio contractors in your area, I have to imagine there are sound men from working bands who would be willing to help for free or a reasonable fee. Even if they charge $200, I bet it would be worth it.
Im coming to this forum to get "free" advice at first. Resorting to paying a sound engineer is not in my budget at the moment
Old 6th April 2015, 07:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Good advice from Enzo. Setting up this kind of equipment is far away from setting up a stereo i a living room.
I bet someone at that college have a uncle, brother or friend who is a sound engineer. And I bet they will help for a good bottle of rum.

Last edited by Kjeldsen; 6th April 2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 6th April 2015, 07:57 PM   #10
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrobonk View Post
How would I go about filtering that out? With the low-pass filter that is on the back of the speakers? And should I apply that to all 5 or just a couple in strategic locations?
There is no high pass filter in the full range speakers, but there is a 6dB - 150Hz low pass filter in the subs.
If you add a simple line level 6dB high pass crossover at 150Hz on the full range speakers, that may help enough.

Last edited by rayma; 6th April 2015 at 08:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!