x-over filters measured with Smaart7 @ the processor outputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's another one:

First LR4 HP LP @1kHz and then LIR HP LP filters summed after the processor outputs and then the same thing @125Hz.

Processor brand is a Linea Research ASC48

https://timobeckmangeluid.wordpress.com/2016/01/08/playing-around-with-a-new-toy-linea-research-asc48/

Timo, thank for your examples.

I'm in search of a high quality digital crossover / eq unit to use at my home with my diy loudspeakers system.

• Can you please share your opinion on Line Research ASC-48?
  • Is the LIR crossover implementation better sounding than a Linkwitz-Riley or other FIR crossover of the same order?
  • Is optimized only for few angle or remain coherent through a wide spot?

Regards,
Roland

Timo, thank for your examples.

I'm in search of a high quality digital crossover / eq unit to use at my home with my diy loudspeakers system.

• Can you please share your opinion on Line Research ASC-48?

It's a really nice unit but the x-over output is phase flat but most drivers are not so you still need to correct the phase from the driver itself especially in the x-over area (a high driver will show a phase angle downward before settling horizontally).

• Is the LIR crossover implementation better sounding than a Linkwitz-Riley or other FIR crossover of the same order?

Our ears are not to sensitive to phase so a phase aligned system will sound ok what ever kind of x-over is used. That being said: i experience less listening fatigue working o phase flat systems.
    There are 2 more things noticeable on phase flat systems (for me and from hear speak from other technicians): the voice of the artist is more "in your face" and easier to get in to the mix.

From a measurement point of view: on a phase flat system harmonics arrive at the same time as the fundamental where using a LR4 4th order high and lowpass x-over combination let's say at 125Hz causes harmonics on a 80Hz sine wave for example to lead compared to the fundamental since the group delay caused by that x-over combination delay's everything below that frequency.

• Is optimized only for few angle or remain coherent through a wide spot?
This is a question (?) because if it is i do not get it sorry i'm dutch so every now and then i get lost in translation

Regards,
Roland

Thanks Timo, forgive my poor english.

I hope that, being a speaker essentially a minimum phase device, I will be able to achieve the desired result by choosing the crossover points in the drivers' linear band (and where the frequency response covers a wide angle) and to fix the remaining response irregularities using the Linea Research parametric equalizer.

Finally i'll try to reformulate my last question:

Using LIR's crossover topology can i obtain a betters drivers integration (less destructive interference) over a wide listening area?

Regards,
Roland

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.