connection dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am helping set up a small PA. i am at the stage of sorting lead multicores stage boxes and DI boxes. all ok with that so far. we have a band a in a few weeks that will use all 8 channels on the stage box. 4 mics and 4 DIs. w have 3 DI boxes,but the double bass player has a mono jack output from his amp. i need to get a suitable lead to go from mono jack to xlr on the stage box. if i get a xlr to trs lead with a female to male adapter will this be ok. not sure if you if you can buy xlr to female trs lead. and if you can would it be ok.

from my reading cheap di boxes are not good with bass guitars so coming out
of his amp line out seems the only option for now. i am using a yamaha mg16/4 desk and using the xlr mic inputs.

Bob.. I got bad news.. you need another DI. The last bass amp I tried to connect directly to one of my mixers(Yamaha 16/6FX) produced heavy distortion across the whole board. Apparently what guitar amp manufacturers think is a sensible line output voltage is not what everybody else in the electronics world thinks is a sensible line output voltage so I don't see this working without a DI with a switchable pad.
It does take a good DI to do justice to bass frequencies so if you have a JDI or similar use that on the bass and substitute something lesser on one of the other instruments or skip it entirely if possible, keyboards for example will often work just fine plugged into the line inputs on the board. Of course the other option is to just stick a mic on it.

Last edited:
thanks i will use the line input instead of the xlr then. i have used it before with the same amp. just means i need to go from xlr to jack at both ends or not bother at all, its a small intimate venue so his amp may be enough. i dont have any good DIs yet. planning on modifying one of the cheap passive ones with a decent transformer at some point when there is more money available. i think your deck is digital isnt it? the mg 16/4 is totally analog so that may make a difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.