Strange pops in church pa system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are no ands, if or buts. It is the dsp mixer. The only open issue is if it is power line bounces that a UPS can fix, a bad component inside the unit or a software fault. As the unit can be replaced by a similar item for less than $200.00 the real problem is not the equipment.

Can you put the dsp/mixer in another system,like during the week and see what it does?
Can you open the box without voiding the warranty?
If so take a strong Magnifying glass and bright light and start looking at all caps and solder joints (if you need reference Google bad caps and, cold solder joints and tug on all the wires,DO unplug it from the wall before you touch anything,
The caps in the power supply hold a charge and can be discharged Google it and see how to do it,
If you find something,ask, take a picture and post it .
Good Luck,
NS

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is incoming power issues..first off, since you mentioned that rain makes the noises go away, have your power company check the connections to the electrical service to your church. A loose connection in the service drop (or in the high voltage primary side of the power transformer) can and will cause power spikes that can get into audio gear. (Also, to get them to look at the situation promptly, stretch the truth a bit and complain to them that you have problems of flickering lights.)

I strongly suggest you get a GOOD UPS (stay away from APC..I recommend Tripp-Lite or Belkin) and connect that (using the UPS "backup" sockets) to the DSP, and any other gear in the immediate area of the DSP to the "surge protected" sockets.

Finally, contact an electrician (perhaps the church has one or more members who could help, but make sure they are licensed electricians, not just someone who thinks they know about electricity) who has access to a "power quality monitor" they can connect to the church's main panel and/or the power to the audio gear to see and record any power issues.

I have in the past had to do all of the above in many locations to solve or find issues in many cinemas and home screening rooms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.