Reinforcement in the Midbass range solution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, although I have been a member at the forum, I have not posted previously but I am asking for some opinions in order to get some decent output in the mid bass range using the AutoTech Iwata-600 horn crossed at 1000 HZ.

I have tried to get some reasonable output via B&C 10" mid bass woofers
B&C 10MD26 10" Midbass Speaker
on a pair of Onken horns......
which where build with old 10" vifas more for woofer/subwoofer duties rather than producing prodigious amounts of bass (up to 250HZ down to 25 Hz.)

I have 1" Radian drivers
https://www.parts-express.com/radian-475pb-8-1-aluminum-horn-driver-8-ohm-2-3-bolt--294-702
which produce prodigious output along with the horn.

What I am looking for is a solution, simple, perhaps building a box for the B&C drivers above....Anything that would approximate massive outputs to 1000 HZ or
a new design....I am intrigued with mid bass horns. Or other designs that would provide balance. What I do not want is to spend more $$ but I am willing to spend some $$ in order to obtain satisfactory output from this set up.

I am crossing the Horns via a Rane AC-23S crossover and for the bass duties I am using a Crown XT2002. Thus power is not lacking.

PS: Perhaps I am expecting massive output from the midrange but I have seen other commercially made speakers that do use 10" woofers, of even a lower quality but they do seem to get the balance right.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes, the Onken was made to be crossed much lower, as part of a Oris Horn setup. It Oris Horn never materialized and I kept the Onken orphaned. Unlike smaller speakers, they are difficult to unload. So, for a while I kept them as glorious speaker pedestals until I got myself the Iwata 600s....which I thought would cross them low...But the Erik from DIYSound Group said that the minimum cross should be 1000 hz....and there is not sufficient output in the mid bass range even with the swapped B&C Midbass woofer which is much more efficient than the Vifas they replaced....But I suspect that it is the cabinet that is not optimized for such driver that is giving me a mismatch output.

The Iwata along with compression drivers are being driven by a 40 watt per channel Audiosector Patek SE amplifier.

you could use the shell of the onken for an MT 121 style cab that should keep up with the horn better check out speakerforumplans.com

I saw it. The cabinet is not deep enough to make it possible. I will have to gut the front and the back as well as everything else in between. Perhaps I can simply use all four sides and make a horn that sticks out in the back. I will need to study the proposition. I have seen stuff like the Otop 12 or 15" from Bill Fitzmaurice and I wonder if it is possible to use something like it but the cabs looks rather wide. I need to get rid of some equipment to make it fit in my space.

I wonder if that 100 hz mid bass horn in inlowsound would produce the necessary output. I care not too much for the sub 100 Hz...can always add a little sub but the mid bass output is sorely lacking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.