Cabling between an Alesis mixer and Mackie Active's? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2014, 10:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cabling between an Alesis mixer and Mackie Active's?

Hi There,

First post here, and i'm an IT tech so please be gentle

I'm working in a school that currently has an Alesis MultiMix4USB Mixer with L+R 1/4" outputs. The school wish to purchase a pair of Mackie Thump TH-12A active speakers that have an XLR input.

I'm stuggling to find 1/4" to Male XLR cables longer than 6M, ideally I need cables around 25M long, is that possible or is there an issue with quailty past a certain point?

Any help gratefully received!
Old 19th May 2014, 12:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Have a look at CPC | CPC - Over 100, 000 products from one of the worlds leading distributors of electronic and related products. if there are none there, they are easy enough to make. XLR is pin 1 = ground. Pin 2 = Hot. Pin 3 = Cold (balanced line). The jack is; Tip = Hot. Ring = Cold and Sleeve = Ground. Purchase a roll of cable, a couple of jacks and a couple of XLR female plugs and there you are.

It is acceptable to use an XLR to XLR extension but I would make a pair of leads or purchase a "Stage snake", that will give you as long as you require.

Last edited by JonSnell Electronic; 19th May 2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 19th May 2014, 12:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Try this.
PLS00407 - PULSE - XLR MULTICORE, DRUM, 8WAY 6/2 | CPC
Old 19th May 2014, 12:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

XLR will daisy-chain. Get a jack to XLR and then just fill the rest of the length with XLR.

Definitely no need for the multicore linked above.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys, will I get noticeable sound degradation if I extend the cables, say daisy chain a couple of 15M XLR's?
Old 20th May 2014, 11:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't expect so.

If you want to be really sure, check if the mixer outputs are balanced or not. If they are, get a balanced jack to XLR cable. That should take care of potential signal problems.
Even if the outputs are unbalanced, I wouldn't expect any issues - think of how long guitar leads can be, and they're being driven by pickups.

Chris
Old 20th May 2014, 09:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackseicento View Post
Thanks for the help guys, will I get noticeable sound degradation if I extend the cables, say daisy chain a couple of 15M XLR's?
Not at all, the balanced outputs of a mixer like this can drive hundreds of feet of cable, and if you search around you will find XLR cables in lengths up to 100ft.

Hide this!Advertise here!