PA System Advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I'm looking to build a PA from already available plans, has anybody got any suggestions for subs and tops that fit the following criteria?

1. Good enough that I can build multiples and be able to carry sub 30hz in an outdoor environment
2. Ideally not overly expensive. (I cant really budget for $1k worth of driver)
3. Portability: sort of. (I have trucks available to move things around)
4. Sub 30hz because mostly bass music will be played through the system.

The biggest criteria is scalability. I live in a party town and want something that can as easily shake a house party as it can hold it's own outdoors (obviously with more units).

I've had a look at the BFM designs, but want to know what else is out there before I commit.

Buy tops/Build subs.
Some powered 10" or 12" tops from RCF/Yamaha/EV/JBL have all the processing/amps engineered for you, it is difficult to compete dollar per dollar when going DIY with PA tops.

If you want 30hz I would look at reflex subs but you will need multiples and some big amps to run them, 35hz is a bit easier to attain.

I'd definitely go 12"+horn tops. 15" tops are fine if you can only have 2 cabinets, but for a larger system, there's no need for the compromise in the midrange.

BFM horn subwoofers need to work in multiples to get anything like a flat frequency response, so I'd discount those.
Consider 15" tapped horns - 15"s are cheaper than 18"s, but a tapped horn would level the playing field somewhat.

What's the overall budget?
Do you have any amplification or signal processing so far?
Where are you likely to be purchasing your equipment (so we have an idea of what's available to you)?

Chris

This is a bit of a long term project given that I'm funding it pretty slowly. At the moment I intend on spending ~$500USD on each cab, ideally keeping amp costs as low as possible. I pretty much stand at the beginning with amplification and signal processing. I'm in no rush to build so I don't mind waiting on drivers to become available. Are there any solid plans for horn tops readily available? I gather that designing cabs requires a fair bit of knowledge so I assume that is ruled out for now.

I can back up what I say. .
So can I. Here is the actual measured response of an EL36 on ground plane. This shows it has a maximum sensitivity at 1w input of no more than 98db@100hz and a -3db corner at about 50hz. I have also heard these many times as well and they do give the impression of producing low bass but clearly that is just an impression and you're really just hearing harmonics.

13891002777_b24747a070_c.jpg

I can back up what I say. I have seen a CV alongside an 18" BR while playing low bass material. The reflex bottomed out long before the horn driver.
That was not anywhere near 30hz.

Pick a size and weight of box you want to deal with and then determine how many you can transport, that extra 5-10hz do not come without a penalty BTW.

Last edited:
are we in fact talking about cerwin vega B 36's unless you have four per side stacked to form a w type horn (on their side's and "head" to "head") you won't get close to 40 but at 10 yards 60 to 120 is pretty substantial in a 300 to 500 person capacity bar/hall.
and if you run one of these in your living room as a single good luck getting any bass without heavy EQ

Last edited:
Errm. Good thing I'm not actually considering buying a system, but am pretty intent on building. So the current plan sits at building TH18s for subs and some JBell tops. Anyone have any idea on a suggested ratio of tops:subs or have any 'better' plans for tops?

I'm sure you hear this one plenty, but "bass music outdoors" is the end goal, which basically means flat to as close to 30hz as possible. Just to clarify I am aware that this is not cheap, nor is it easy and I do appreciate the learning curve for actually setting the system up after building. In terms of transport/mobility requirements, I'm really not too phased. If it has to be big to get the job done (which is mostly true) then so be it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.