Yamaha PM700 Direct Out Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to this, so bear with me.

I have a Yamaha PM700 that needs direct outs. I made a set of probes from old an old multimeter -- probes on one end, 1/4 TS jack on the other. Using my probes, I found a suitable point from the Monitor 2 pot lug that sounds good. Here is a picture from a card I dropped, with the pencil showing which lug I am intending to pull signal from.

Now, here is my stupid question: Since I am just going to use unbalanced outs, where should I solder my ground/sleeve? I know, I know, its a very basic question, but before I do the soldering, I figured I'd ask. When I was 'probing' around, I couldn't find any point on the card that seemed to work quite right for the sleeve. But, with a single probe connected to tip of a 1/4 TS jack where the pencil is pointed, it sounded ground in my DAW.

Here is the schematic for the console

Again, I know this is as basic a question as it gets. But this is my first time doing something like this.

Thanks!

just to be clear your creating a direct out for an individual channel?
the card you dropped should be designated 80883 correct?
the opposite end of the monitor 2 potentiometer is ground (left 2 solder pads over) if there's no mirror imaging in the photo i looked at.
what exactly is your "DAW"?
not knowing more about what your doing or trying to connect and for what purpose i'd recommend at least thinking about an op-amp buffer to ensure you don't load down that bus point with a potential impedance mismatch even a 1:1 isolation transformer so ground reference to the "new" output can float avoiding potential ground loops.

Hey guys,

The direct would ideally be post EQ. That's why I went with the monitor 2 pot.

Turk, I just wanted to make 8 of the channel cards stand alone preamps. I will install 1/4 TS jacks and from there, hope right into an MOTU interface to record the channels discreetly.

In the long term, I intend on doing much more with the board, but I'm doing a little recording session fairly soon and I wanted to experiment with using some of these preamps cards directly into my interface.

The card is designated LC80882. It features a 600:3k GA8027 input transformer some odd-ball IC op-amps, BUT passive EQ, which is why I was hoping to go post-eq on the card. If this creates some massive issue, then I can go pre. Like I said, in the future, I am planning on doing some upgrades to the card modules themselves, then going full balanced with iso transformers. But I just wanted to start simple first, as this is the first time I've tried something like this, and just see what I could do with unbalanced outs.

Do you think I'll need an iso-transformer or an op-amp buffer for my application?

Thank again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.