DIY Line Array System Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm Looking at building a line array system. Planing on 2 mid-range drivers and a single 1" driver. In a 22" wide by 8" tall and 15" deep in birch plywood cabinet. Using 4 pole Neutrik jacks. Do I need a built in Crossover? I'm planning on ruining a DBX Driverack or some kind of Speaker management system to control the system. I plan on building at least a dozen of the cabinets. Here are the components I'm looking at let me know what you think. All these components can be found online at Parts Express.

2- Pyle PPA6 6.5" Drivers or Pyle PDMR5 5" Sealed Back Midrange Speaker Driver

1- Pyle PDS22 1" Titanium Horn Driver or Pyle PDS122 1" Aluminum Horn Driver

1- Selenium HM17-25 1" Bi-Radial Horn or Goldwood GT-300PB 1" Horn

Sealed back mid-ranges are not going to go down low enough to match a sub. You would need a mid-bass that you don't mention.

Also if you are actively bi-amping the line arrays using the driverack and amps you don't need an xo in the cabs.. However from your choices so far I wouldn't expect that and you are better off putting a pre-made xo in the cabs with the mid and tweet.

I would suggest you draw up a design you like and request part suggestions to accomplish it. LOTS of great ideas, experience and help on this forum.

I've added a sketch that I drew a while back. the measurements aren't the same but the layout is Im planning on 2- 5"-6.5" drivers and one High frequency driver in the middle. I'm here to find out what type of drivers I need in those places. I have analog electronics construction experience but speakers building is not an area I know much about.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Best look carefully at the design considerations for these "arrayed" boxes. Getting the polar response to work is not exactly trivial or random.

In specific the vertical response of the HF driver needs to be appropriate in the horizontal and vertical axis, usually VERY narrow in the vertical axis and very WIDE in the horizontal.

The frequency of the xover to the "mids" is also critical in this regard...

Your "mids" need to meet the "subs" which usually means something in the 100Hz-200Hz range.

Otoh, any combination will play loud with enough boxes stacked.

_-_-

Yeah the more reading I've been doing I've learned that the HF has to be pretty specifically set in each cabinet to work well. The more I shop around I'm finding it difficult to find waveguides in the price range I'd like. So I'm considering building my own I've seen a few different diy waveguide horns in my research. So at this point correct me if I'm wrong do the 1" drivers I've got selected look to work good IF I can get the correct dispersion in the waveguide? And I need Mid-bass Drivers for my "mids"? Looking to build each cabinet to run somewhere around 150-400 watts rms each. And building at least 12, 6 for each side. I know that a wide range but I'm seeing all kinds of options, I'm still researching and will probably buy a few different options to test in my prototype. But wanting some input on the type of "mids" and "highs" to get. If that makes sense. I will be building subs arrays in the future for the low end. But researching and designing this part first. Thanks to all for the input!!!!

Last edited:
OK guys what about 2- Pyle PDMW6 6-1/2" Mid-Woofer, AND 2- Pyle PDS221" Titanium Horn Drivers mounted in a equal diffraction waveguide horn? I added a pic of an example of a waveguide I'm looking at building.
Thanks again for all the info!!!!

Attachments

• waveguide.jpg
    waveguide.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 490
can i ask why you think a line array is the way to go?
you must be playing or dj'ing shows in large venues that require rigging.
not to make your intended box design larger but 8 inch drivers in general would go deeper making it easier to reach your subs not to mention wide band 8's are more common (or so it seems)

I like challenging projects. :) I'm a designer at heart and have built electric firing systems for professional pyrotechnical groups, custom lighting, furniture among other things I've got a shop that I can build just about anything in. And these are something I've wanted to build for a long time I use to run a small DJ service and have had pa gear most of my life and now I've got local venues and bands wanting me to do shows for them and that's about all the excuse I need to build a system like this. I know it's not the ideal for the size and application but this is just something I want to build and looking to do it the best I can for the budget I've got. more that likely will end up with a handful of different components tested in my prototype cabinet before I settle on it. But just looking to learn more about these components before I just go out and buy them I'm familiar with electronics etc. just not specifically mid and High frequency drivers. So far I've learned that the waveguide horn I use has to have a very narrow vertically and wide horizontally along with having equal length of travel for the sound to get to the end of the horn. Which at this point is why I've modified my design for 2-1" HF Drivers. And as far as going to 8" drivers I've thought about it but I actually have a stack of 3/4" plywood scrap I got at an auction from closing commercial wood shop and they are in great shape. I have over 50 of them that are already cut at 8 3/4" x 30" Which is why I've planned my boxes at 22" wide by about 15" deep and an front opening of about 8 3/4". Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Attachments

• pure-path-lens-driver.jpg
    pure-path-lens-driver.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 331
Questions
1) what is the size or scope of the need?
2) is portability required?
3) is it to be live sound re-enforcement or "hi-fi" playback (dj)?
4) supporting gear (amps, processors)?

I was planning a smallish line array for fun but stopped because I couldn't find weather resistant drivers I wanted.

1) how much output do you need will determine how many modules you will need and the driver size required. I have never seen a line array with less than 8" drivers but I have heard there is one with only 5" drivers.
2) If the venue is not too large and you have help, a few large boxes move and pack much easier.
3) if this is live sound you can get away with the pyle drivers and some processing however I would personally never use them for professional DJ'ing.
4) will you be bi-amping the modules? that means no passive xo's but 4 conductor cable to each cab and something like speakon connectors which will factor into cost.

Fwiw, and within reason, there is no such thing as a simply "good or bad" driver, like the compression drivers you ask about.

It's like comparing a Porshe boxer engine to a Kenworth truck diesel.
Both good engines, but it all depends on the application.

Define your application precisely and you will start to find good answers.
Work backwards from the results you want in what sort of space/room.

_-_-

OK so the application for this system is live sound. For indoor/outdoor venues varying in throw distance(20'-150') and for audiences up to a few thousand. I want to build 12 so depending on the location and venue size I could run between 3-6 a side. Portability is not a huge factor but is needed. Im building custom road cases in my shop for a local band and will probably build at least 3 custom case for these. I have many amp options but I will probably look at selling a few of the dozen+ I have to get some specific amps for this system. I've also been looking at the DBX Driverack 260. Anyone worked with one before? Yay, nay? As far as output needed. I can't imagine needing more than I'm probably going to end up with based on the different drivers I've been looking. My reasoning behind going with a 6-6.5" driver is based on a few different factors one being that I've got a very large amount of 3/4" birch plywood left over from another project and they are cut to a 8.5" x 30" size and that works well for the ends and back panels. I plan on buying a few sheets of new ply for the top/bottom panels as I'm planning on going 15" deep with the cabinets. I will be putting 4 pole neutrik speakon connectors on them. As that's mainly what I'v used in the past and have a box of male ends to make custom cable lengths. Also I do understand that this is not the easy way and maybe not the best way to achieve what my end goal is. But its a project I've been wanting to do for years and finally have a use for one and want to build it. I've planned on 12 but might do more in the future. I do plan on building a prototype and do as much test as I can with it before diving into building all 12. I plan on building a set of 4 sub array boxes to match in the future. So if you have ideas on components for them chime in on that too. Let me ask this question too. If the drivers I've posted are good for different applications. What would be Ideal for an audience of 500-1000 with a throw distance of 50'-100'? That lands in the middle of where this system will probably be used. How many watts, min DB rating, frequency range should I be looking for?

dbx driverack:D:D:D(but that's my opinion)i've used these and other system controllers for all kinds of applications i like the driverack probably more on the basis of familiarity.
i applaud your desire to use the pre cut panels you have at hand.on that note don't underestimate biscuit or dowel joined panels to make larger panels for your box build.
to me the biggest hurdle in a line array box would be mounting /flying hardware and finding the center line/ balance point of the assembly.
as for driver choice the pyle you spec'ed could well do the job but as i've not personally used this particular driver in any application i won't say yah or nah because i'm interested in seeing if it will up to task in your application (i've used low price drivers like pyramid wh8 to refurbish an old pair of Traynor columns with great results)
in closing i'm still interested in knowing what your intended x-over frequencies and low frequency limit for said box?

Thanks Turk!! I'm figuring xo soon getting the components more nailed down. What driver do you guys like between these 2-

1.35'' Bolt-On Titanium Compression Tweeter Driver - 100W RMS
MCM Audio Select 1.35'' Bolt-On Titanium Compression Tweeter Driver - 200W RMS | 53-1211 (531211) | MCM Audio Select

or

Pyle PDS221" Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI
Pyle PDS221 Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI | 292-2502

To me the biggest difference is $$ unless I'm missing something?

the mcm is a three bolt mount, the pyle is thread (pipe style) mount this would matter more if you where trying to match the mount on a pre made horn flare but your creating your own waveguide so just a matter of which one.(not to mention mount adapters)
my vote is on the MCM
yH5BAEAAA8ALAAAAAAPAA8AAARg8EkJap341YTQMRcGKCR3HAUBTONiJVa6agqwLIoJqlqi3DhdSgVA+EoeFIEwqHQS0M5nKKgcAp2kUlUFGA6WcEVQ1RQMBkZjzWCWNYSCnEF3v+HLPPlOAdi7GSxhGREAADs=

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.