how to properly wire a crossover & 2 amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a:
Bbe Max3 2way stereo/3way mono sonic maximizer.
Pyle pt3300 amp.
Pyle pqa 5100 amp.
Harbinger hx 15.2 pair for pt3300. 600 rms/4ohms.
Rockville rsg 15.2 pair for pqa 5100 amp. 1500rms/4ohms.

I currently have ch1 low to pt, hi to pqa.
ch2 low to pqa, hi to pt.
My speaker cabinets all have high, mid, low speakers. Therefore, I don't want to make one amp for low, & the other for high, or else one set of speakers plays only low, while the other set is just high.
I am also daisy-chaining the speakers.
Is there a better way to make this connection better, which I believe so.
Thank you.

You have 2 stereo amps and 4 speakers correct? If so each speaker is connected to it's own amp channel and that's it.. you can't daisy chain(link) the speakers together as well this serves no purpose and would short out the amplifiers. And if you want all 4 speakers to run fullrange then you can't use the BBE either just come from your console(mixer) to the inputs of the first amp and add a little jumper from the first amp to the second amp.

Maybe you're not understanding.
You can not connect 2 amplifiers to the same speaker.
If you daisy chain two speakers together that creates a load at 1/2 the impedance of a single speaker and it still cannot be connected to more than 1 amplifier.
If you want all speakers to create fullrange sound you can not use the BBE device. It is first and foremost a crossover that splits sound into separate high and low bands and there is no way to bypass that processing.

I'm no connecting two speakers to the same amp. It can work if I put a low and high from the xover to one amp. Will also still work if I put two highs to one amp& two lows to another amp. I'm using the xover freq knob to get speakers putting out high mid and low.
Looking for other ways, if either isn't really the correct way.
Do thank you for your time.

If you're doing what I think you're doing you are risking destroying your amplifiers, it may work for a while but only because of the amplifiers built-in protection circuitry, sooner or later you're gonna blow them up.

You also need to explain what you mean by "daisy chaining", to everybody in the audio industry that means connecting 2 or more speakers systems together on a single amplifier output but I suspect that's not exactly what you're doing.

Maybe draw a simple line diagram of how you have things connected and post it up.

Well that is OK but are you connecting a high and low amplifier output to the same speaker terminals? If your speakers can be configured for bi-amplification meaning there are separate connectors that are labelled hi and low that's perfectly fine, but if they only have 1 connection point for all drivers in the box then you cannot safely connect two amplifier outputs.

I think I understand. Are you making the speaker connections with 1/4" jacks? I've seen someone else do something similar in the past.

Your wording is a little vague.

First off, you left out important information. What do your speaker terminals look like? I can't find your speakers with Google. Do your speakers have a separate "high in" and "low in" jacks?

Why do you need 4 total speakers? Is a single pair not enough? Setting two speakers side-by-side or even stacked is not a good idea and will produce severe comb filtering. If you could work with only 1 pair of your speakers you could wire everything properly and avoid comb filtering problems.

Otherwise, you already have it wired the only way possible with that setup.

Separate high & low and bi-amped mean the same thing--We're on the same page, right?

For clarity, could you take a picture of the terminals on one of your Harbinger and one of your Rockville speakers?

Edit: I'm talking about speaker level, are you using 1/4", Neuritic, or banana plugs? Line level should either be 1/4" or XLR. But the same 1/4" cables can not be used interchangeably for line level and speaker level.

Last edited:
as i understand it he's combining the x-over outputs and paralleling them at the amps input and using the x-over like a tone/eq control.
i would think that a 15 or 31 band eq would be better at tone shaping than a crossover.
what is your aversion to running mid/hi and low separate(yes it would require re-wiring your boxes to something like a Speakon connector for multi-way)but doing so would allow you to use your x-over the way it was intended.with another amp you could go active 3 way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.