how to properly wire a crossover & 2 amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no not just powered speakers...
on that topic other than the amp being built in there's no functional difference between a "powered" speaker and a separate amp and speaker both require the same level input.
the dbx's capabilities can allow to mix both types and more into easily recalled tailored program memories but you'll soon learn all that if you keep researching and reading.

He does not need a crossover.

The Driverack will not be useful to him. Although the outputs of the driverack can each be configured for full range output, his 4 speakers are not identical and as such the RTA calibration and GEQ will not work as intended. Attached is the Driverack PA+ signal path block diagram. As you can see, the GEQ comes before the signal is split into the six outputs.

Attachments

• driverack flow.JPG
    driverack flow.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 33
Geesh, why does it have to be so complicated? Lol..

Well, traditionally only a single matching pair of speakers would be used. Matters are complicated by adding the second non-matching pair. Optimally, you would need two sonic maximisers, one for each pair of speakers, but the operation of the sonic maximiser is so basic (and disputed) you should be fine with one. You're just tuning it by ear.

A piece of hardware on the other hand like the driverack which tries to calibrate the speakers to a fine-tuned level will never achieve proper results, thus end up a waste of money.

Best case scenario would be to sell your current two pairs of speakers for a single pair of loudspeakers that would be higher quality. You don't need a driverack or sonic maximiser, it would be more cost effective to invest that money into the new loudspeaker.

humm... maybe he could use the time alignment functions in the driverack to get phase coherency on a four speaker array + sub but a shite unit like dbx ain't worth it so i guess it's a dumb suggestion!

No, it isn't a dumb suggestion. Not many people would be aware of the internal signal path in such equipment. If the GEQ came after the 6 channels were divided, the driverack would be the perfect slice of cake.

Because the GEQ is applied beforehand, the RTA will be fighting itself over the outputs of two completely different speakers. Thus you won't get results better than a cheapo sonic maximiser and ear tuning.

Edit: My sincere apologies to you if I offended you Turk.

Last edited:
Yes looking for high volume but clear sound.
Well then you need better speakers. The boxes you have now are the very bottom of the barrel and all you will accomplish with a PA processor is polishing the turd that they are. If speakers don't deliver clear sound without any processing then no processing will make them sound clear. For what you spent on all 4 you could have bought 1 much better set, and if you combine that with what you would spend on a DRPA you could have one very good set of speakers.

twinmeister
you didn't offend me but your lack of knowledge with respect to the driverack's capabilities is "irritating" the GEQ is manually configurable it's not just tied at the hip to the RTA functions and the PEQ on the outputs would serve to balance the tonal difference in the two box types not to mention the delay functions for arraying the system.
conanski
even the best drivers can be made to sound bad without due diligence to what's feeding them but good gear does make for better results.

The Driverack will not be useful to him.

That was a misstatement. The Driverack could be useful to him. I should have clarified--it would be a waste of money. I know the GEQ can be manually changed but what good does that do? A single change will effect both speakers which would need different EQs. You are correct, the PEQ would be useful in that regard but a simple analog PEQ can be had for much less, thus using the driverack for that purpose would be a waste of money, which was my intended point.

The main feature of the driverack is the crossover, which will not be useful to him. This is what I meant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.