how to properly wire a crossover & 2 amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Crossover In The Mix.png

Oh, you seem to be using the BBE crossover as a splitter.

"However either way I have to use the crossover freq control knob to bring out all the high mid low from each speaker"

Unless the BBE has a mode to turn the crossover off which I am not aware of, it is not be possible to get full range audio from the output jacks.

Attached is how a crossover would traditionally be wired with two pairs of speakers. Each speaker must have dedicated high & low inputs and outputs. This will require re-wiring your speakers. Do not simply splice the outputs of the amplifiers, as this will destroy the amplifiers.

Attachments

• Crossover In The Mix correct.jpg
    Crossover In The Mix correct.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Otherwise, if you don't want to re-wire your speakers, you can eliminate the BBE to get full range audio to each speaker by simply splitting the line level output from your mixer. Not perfect, but cheap and more correct than the original wiring.

Attachments

• Crossover In The Mix correct.jpg
    Crossover In The Mix correct.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 76
Rewiring your speakers for bi-amplification would be the best way to utilize the BBE, and if you do that I'd suggest using the smaller amp for the horns and the larger for the 15" drivers. I'm having a hard time believing these amps are truely 2ohm stable meaning you can drive them to full output for hours on end without them shutting down, but I got no hands on with them so who knows. And this won't leave anything for the guitar bass cab(18+10") but honestly I don't think you'll miss it when you have everything else setup correctly.

thetwinmeister: I had it wired like the traditional way but without the high and low parallel in and outs. I had used settings on the crossover to get all the speakers playing and sounding good thru the BBE. If I were to re-wire the speakers, I would have to by-pass there built in crossovers, correct?
Further, the pt3300 amp has a line level out that I can go into the pqa5100 amp with.
conanski: I been pushing the speakers even how I have it wired now and these things push out alot at low 2 ohm. Great sound and without getting over heated.

The problem with re-wiring the speakers is that I would have to match up the wattages and wire them properly to there ohms.

I had it wired like the traditional way but without the high and low parallel in and outs.
That method effectively shorts the outputs of your amps so don't do that again.

If I were to re-wire the speakers, I would have to by-pass there built in crossovers, correct?
Correct.

Further, the pt3300 amp has a line level out that I can go into the pqa5100 amp with.
You don't need it.

The problem with re-wiring the speakers is that I would have to match up the wattages and wire them properly to there ohms.
Yes.. but also for power handling too. You don't have much choice so this is what I suggest. All 15's will get connected to the 5100, two boxes(4 drivers) on each channel for approx 600w to each driver. All the horns will get connected to the 3300, these drivers are likely 8ohm so each will get about 225w which should be plenty. The crossover frequency also has to match the passive which is likely somewhere around 1.5khz to 2khz, the spec sheet should mention this.

Yes.. but also for power handling too. You don't have much choice so this is what I suggest. All 15's will get connected to the 5100, two boxes(4 drivers) on each channel for approx 600w to each driver. All the horns will get connected to the 3300, these drivers are likely 8ohm so each will get about 225w which should be plenty. The crossover frequency also has to match the passive which is likely somewhere around 1.5khz to 2khz, the spec sheet should mention this.

I found the Rockville on Google finally. "Rockville RSG-15.24 Dual 15” 3000 Watts Peak/1000 Watts RMS Three-Way Pro Audio Passive Loudspeaker With Two 15" Woofers, Three 3" Piezo Tweeters, and 1 Piezo Compression Horn"

Rewiring this is not advisable.

How about if I didn't want to change the original speaker wiring, but bypass it only when I want to split cabinet into high and low. Maybe some kind of switch, that I could install to be able to use original box wiring, or to shut that down, if I plugged into a separate high and low.

This is not only possible, but a really good idea. However, we are starting to get into a lot of unnecessary things. Re-wiring these would be a lot of work and could risk blowing something up if miss-wired. You already have working crossovers factory-set at correct calibrated frequencies.

I don't think rewiring is a good idea. One final time I will suggest my second diagram as the best option. Simply remove the BBE and wire one speaker as-is per one amp channel. If you really want a sonic maximiser, you can sell that one and buy a non-crossover sonic maximiser.

If you are holdfast and set on using the external crossover and rewiring the speakers, we will help, but I don't believe the results will warrant the effort. You'll have to split the crossover in the Rockville speakers and use half of it, on top of trying to find the correct crossover position.

If you do decide to rewire, you can wire the pairs of 15" drivers in each cab in series rather than parallel. This will give you 16ohms per cab, and a stable 8ohms at the amplifier. Sensitivity will be reduced slightly, but this will be a non-issue due to the bi-amplification.

I found the Rockville on Google finally. "Rockville RSG-15.24 Dual 15” 3000 Watts Peak/1000 Watts RMS Three-Way Pro Audio Passive Loudspeaker With Two 15" Woofers, Three 3" Piezo Tweeters, and 1 Piezo Compression Horn"

Rewiring this is not advisable.

Ha!.. those specs are highly exaggerated too no doubt and I'll wager the crossover is pretty basic. I was making the assumption these were legitimate PA speakers but after seeing this I have to agree it's probably better to ditch the whole biamp idea, the existing BBE device is the wrong tool for the job here just sell it and buy another without a crossover.. or better yet buy better speakers.

Clean sound is achieved with high quality drivers, all of the piezos in all your cabinets combined are worth about $10 while a single high quality compression driver can cost $100. These BBE devices are effects processors, they add EQ and phase shift just like a guitar effects pedel, the sound produced can be pleasing but it's not a clean or accurate reproduction of the original source material.

what do you think?
these devices have limited applications in which they prove beneficial so i would be looking to spend my system budget on a system controller like a DBX 260 Driverack or something similar or at least a dsp x-over.
and i agree with conanski better quality application specific drivers go a long way towards clarity and image in the room.
and if your dj'ing on a even semi pro basis good gear pays for itself in repeat business

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.