how to properly wire a crossover & 2 amps. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2014, 03:05 PM   #31
Speakerholic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanski View Post
Yes.. but also for power handling too. You don't have much choice so this is what I suggest. All 15's will get connected to the 5100, two boxes(4 drivers) on each channel for approx 600w to each driver. All the horns will get connected to the 3300, these drivers are likely 8ohm so each will get about 225w which should be plenty. The crossover frequency also has to match the passive which is likely somewhere around 1.5khz to 2khz, the spec sheet should mention this.
I found the Rockville on Google finally. "Rockville RSG-15.24 Dual 15 3000 Watts Peak/1000 Watts RMS Three-Way Pro Audio Passive Loudspeaker With Two 15" Woofers, Three 3" Piezo Tweeters, and 1 Piezo Compression Horn"

Rewiring this is not advisable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanesworldx View Post
How about if I didn't want to change the original speaker wiring, but bypass it only when I want to split cabinet into high and low. Maybe some kind of switch, that I could install to be able to use original box wiring, or to shut that down, if I plugged into a separate high and low.
This is not only possible, but a really good idea. However, we are starting to get into a lot of unnecessary things. Re-wiring these would be a lot of work and could risk blowing something up if miss-wired. You already have working crossovers factory-set at correct calibrated frequencies.

I don't think rewiring is a good idea. One final time I will suggest my second diagram as the best option. Simply remove the BBE and wire one speaker as-is per one amp channel. If you really want a sonic maximiser, you can sell that one and buy a non-crossover sonic maximiser.

If you are holdfast and set on using the external crossover and rewiring the speakers, we will help, but I don't believe the results will warrant the effort. You'll have to split the crossover in the Rockville speakers and use half of it, on top of trying to find the correct crossover position.

If you do decide to rewire, you can wire the pairs of 15" drivers in each cab in series rather than parallel. This will give you 16ohms per cab, and a stable 8ohms at the amplifier. Sensitivity will be reduced slightly, but this will be a non-issue due to the bi-amplification.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:12 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yes, rewiring would be a lot of work. I was not aware that I could get a maximizer without a crossover. I'm just wanting to make the sound as clear as possible. Thank you guys for the help and knowledge.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:21 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetwinmeister View Post
I found the Rockville on Google finally. "Rockville RSG-15.24 Dual 15 3000 Watts Peak/1000 Watts RMS Three-Way Pro Audio Passive Loudspeaker With Two 15" Woofers, Three 3" Piezo Tweeters, and 1 Piezo Compression Horn"

Rewiring this is not advisable.
Ha!.. those specs are highly exaggerated too no doubt and I'll wager the crossover is pretty basic. I was making the assumption these were legitimate PA speakers but after seeing this I have to agree it's probably better to ditch the whole biamp idea, the existing BBE device is the wrong tool for the job here just sell it and buy another without a crossover.. or better yet buy better speakers.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:28 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I had just bought the BBE thru Amazon, last week. I think I can still return it for a full refund. But didn't know there was a maximizer without a crossover.
How should I get the crisp clear sound I'm looking to achieve then?
Old 26th February 2014, 03:29 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I have pushed the Rockville set pretty hard, and they still reproduce good sound.
Old 26th February 2014, 04:04 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Clean sound is achieved with high quality drivers, all of the piezos in all your cabinets combined are worth about $10 while a single high quality compression driver can cost $100. These BBE devices are effects processors, they add EQ and phase shift just like a guitar effects pedel, the sound produced can be pleasing but it's not a clean or accurate reproduction of the original source material.
Old 26th February 2014, 04:27 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I was looking at maximizers without the crossover. The 382isw with a separate output for the sub, or the 882I. Both by BBE.
What would you recommend?
Old 26th February 2014, 09:44 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

what do you think?
these devices have limited applications in which they prove beneficial so i would be looking to spend my system budget on a system controller like a DBX 260 Driverack or something similar or at least a dsp x-over.
and i agree with conanski better quality application specific drivers go a long way towards clarity and image in the room.
and if your dj'ing on a even semi pro basis good gear pays for itself in repeat business
Old 26th February 2014, 10:13 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

im going to look into it. thanx dude
Old 26th February 2014, 10:15 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

where would it fit in? before amps or after?

Hide this!Advertise here!