how to properly wire a crossover & 2 amps. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2014, 12:33 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've got one set of speakers plugged into the low amp (from one speaker to the next) and the other set plugged into the high amp. Using one channel from amp on bot.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

So you're only using 1 channel on each amp? We really need a diagram here.. or some pictures.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes only one channel from each amp. I sent a high and low to each amp from the crossover, instead of sending high to one amp and low to the other.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:35 AM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Member

I think I understand. Are you making the speaker connections with 1/4" jacks? I've seen someone else do something similar in the past.

Your wording is a little vague.

First off, you left out important information. What do your speaker terminals look like? I can't find your speakers with Google. Do your speakers have a separate "high in" and "low in" jacks?

Why do you need 4 total speakers? Is a single pair not enough? Setting two speakers side-by-side or even stacked is not a good idea and will produce severe comb filtering. If you could work with only 1 pair of your speakers you could wire everything properly and avoid comb filtering problems.

Otherwise, you already have it wired the only way possible with that setup.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:42 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes using 1/4" input(s). No separate high and low on the speakers. However, my Harbingers are bi-amped.
I put one speaker in each corner of the dance area.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:50 AM   #16
Speakerholic
diyAudio Member

Separate high & low and bi-amped mean the same thing--We're on the same page, right?

For clarity, could you take a picture of the terminals on one of your Harbinger and one of your Rockville speakers?

Edit: I'm talking about speaker level, are you using 1/4", Neuritic, or banana plugs? Line level should either be 1/4" or XLR. But the same 1/4" cables can not be used interchangeably for line level and speaker level.

Last edited by Thetwinmeister; 25th February 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:55 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

In not bi-ampming the speaker. Using all 1/4" cables.
Old 25th February 2014, 02:59 AM   #18
Speakerholic
diyAudio Member

If you aren't bi-amping the speakers then I don't understand. If you aren't bi-amping it isn't possible to use an external crossover.

We can't make any further progress without a wiring diagram. If you would like your question answered, take 10 minutes in MS paint to draw it.
Old 25th February 2014, 03:14 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanx.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:20 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

as i understand it he's combining the x-over outputs and paralleling them at the amps input and using the x-over like a tone/eq control.
i would think that a 15 or 31 band eq would be better at tone shaping than a crossover.
what is your aversion to running mid/hi and low separate(yes it would require re-wiring your boxes to something like a Speakon connector for multi-way)but doing so would allow you to use your x-over the way it was intended.with another amp you could go active 3 way.

Hide this!Advertise here!