advice sought for speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Westy37 is offline Westy37  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default advice sought for speakers

So Iím looking to make a single box stereo for parties.
Iíve already got the enclosure (a large road case) and am confident with the actual construction of the thing in terms of making ports, bracing, mounting drivers etc. What Iím looking for is advice on choosing suitable drivers for my application
I have a total volume of 200litres (approx. 7 cubic feet) to work with. So thatís 100litres (3.5 cubic feet) per speaker.
I have a 6-channel 100W/channel amplifier that I would like to use so at the moment I am thinking of using a 12Ē per side, with a compression driver/horn tweeter. Iíll just leave two channels of amplification out.
My brother (electrical engineer) is going to help devise an input buffer, and active analogue crossover. Weíve got a set-up with a calibrated microphone and are happy to spend time getting the crossover right.
Iím aiming for high sensitivity with bass extension to 50hz or so (Iíll use a steep hi-pass filter below tuning frequency)
Iíd like to try and keep the budget down to hopefully less than about AU$300 for the drivers and horns. Being in Australia, shipping from the US is prohibitively expensive so I'm looking to buy locally.

Also if youíre reading this and have something that might be suitable, please contact me! I'm not against going second hand if I can find something suitable.

Hopefully someone can help me out with deciding on some drivers that will fulfill these criteria and work well.

Hide this!Advertise here!