Amplifier for passive speaker system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some passive, Yamaha PA speakers that I am unable to use right now because I don't have an amp. I would like to install some small amps into the cabinets, essentially turning these into active speakers.

My question is, where should I look for amps? I only need something small, around 100-150W per cabinet, and I can source the power supply from my work(I am an Electrical Engineer). I've seen the panel amps, but this isn't what I'm looking for. All I need is a basic 100-150W audio amplifier, with no power source, to keep this cheap.

I'm also assuming I will need high and low pass filters. What is good source for these when it comes to audio?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I could find a cheap car amp, but I thought there may be a better option.

Last edited:
Juan, if I read him right, he is looking for the amplifier modules and plans to provide his own power supplies.

What I don;t follow is the advantage that provides. To mount amplifiers in the cabs, then provide power connections either to external power sources or to add power supplies ALSo in the cabs, versus simply gettting small plain old power amps that connect to existing systems, I don't see the plus side.

And frankly, if I were committed to putting an amp in the cab, a plate amp would be my first choice.

Well, maybe.
But he didn't state what kind of power supplies, what voltage and current range he may get.
Withyout that, it's impossible to suggest anything.

And agree with plate amps.
Thanks to cutthroat competition and large potential market, they often are cheaper (complete, including crossovers and PSU and ready to plug-in) than equivalent power amp kits.

What's "standard" and/or massively produced, is always the cheapest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.