scoop style midbass horn. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default scoop style midbass horn.

Hi guys, im just thinking out loud here for a moment, but my first is a Q.

does a scoop play similarly to a tapped horn as far as function is concerned?

and second, can a scoop be made to play full range, and do it in a decent form?

im thinking about making a rear loaded horn, like a scoop, but with a shorter horn path to emphasise 80-200hz rage while keeping a DR type driver that will play up to 2.5khz.

thoughts?
Old 18th October 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

many a JBL 4520 loaded with E140's and a slant plate crossed in at 2.5k made up the primary two way disco systems of the early 70's(man i am old) not that i'm a fan of a 15 inch driver handling midrange but with proper eq'ing these systems delivered.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

so basically if i rear load the drivers but still have them play their normal bandwidth (100-2.5k) will they end up sounding horrible, or just like an epic BR cab?

those JBLs look pretty gnarly
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

not that i understand "an epic BR cab"is or what it represents but the 4520 or 4530(single 15 version) with the right(and by that i mean wider bandwidth driver) can yield excellent results well into the upper midrange but your original question was does a rear loaded horn behave like the tapped horn? i my opinion no(i'm stating opinion because while i am a knowledgeable individual i'm not an expert).
i might be wrong but in your post it seems like your thinking of using a rear loaded horn under a unity horn to what ...try and get better low mid definition punch, coverage, projection?
as an old dog eared PA guy i remember cobbling together festival pa's outta any and all boxes we could get our hands on, that meant a wide variety of different boxes to play with. i learned the hard way what combining different box designs designs could do. everything from creating massive nulls at frequencies and places you wouldn't expect to outright killing drivers in a combined "array"(translate to bric a brac of boxes)
a direct radiating rear horn loaded box with/vs a unity horn it think the sum of those two will leave wanting...(for better phase summing over distance)
Old 24th October 2013, 07:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
..try and get better low mid definition punch, coverage, projection?
this^

basically what im looking for is the most efficient cab design that will net me what im looking for as far as better kick/punch arund the 80-150hz range, but will still act like a DR style cab into the upper frequencies (300-3000)

my current cabs are Bass reflex loaded with Eminence Delta12a drivers, theyre tuned to 80hz, so they play fairly flat from 80-16000 (two way) but flat do 80 isnt good enough to keep up with my subs as far as kickbass goes.

i designed some rear loaded horns but the cabs are going to get pretty bulky pretty quickly and i do need to be able to lift them by myself. heres a couple sims and a picture of what im on about.

Click the image to open in full size.

and this is what i had in mind for a top cab.

12inch would reside in a sealed top section and fire down and forwards with a roughly meter long horn path.
the front firing drivers would be a pair of 6inch midwoofers. and the tweeter is a Selenium D220ti

cabs im otherwise considering (all running with the Delta12)
HD15
LaScala
Cubo12
JBL scoop mentioned above

and also, then considering going full normal DR style but line array instead.

my biggest problem, i need to choose something and go with it which is why im having such an issue deciding which way to go.
Old 24th October 2013, 07:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

heres my sim in the Lascala cab.

note: "modded from current" was my idea of shifting the front baffle backwards into the box and fitting waveguid style panels onto the front of the driver for more directivity and attempting to enhance the bass response around the 100hz mark (even tho it boosts at 200 it would blend with the subs better if they were passed at 100-120hz @12db/oct

Last edited by klampykixx; 24th October 2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

let me see if i got this right your sub's are a folded horn your tops are also horn loaded and your dividing the frequency spectrum 4 or 5 ways?

p.s. your sketch reminds me of a Clair Bros M4

Last edited by turk 182; 24th October 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

no, not quite.

my current set up is 4x SS15 Tapped horn subs.
and 2x 60L bass reflex 2way cabs. loaded with Delta12a and D220ti tweeters.

and i want more kick bass without resorting to more drivers as a first step.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:31 AM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

looks like you might need a forklifter to move it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
my current cabs are Bass reflex loaded with Eminence Delta12a drivers, theyre tuned to 80hz, so they play fairly flat from 80-16000 (two way) but flat do 80 isnt good enough to keep up with my subs as far as kickbass goes.
how about a pair of 15" below the Delta12 ?
Old 24th October 2013, 11:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think I wanna stick with 12s.

What I was actually thinking was to use my current 12s as a central kick bin and using two way 10/tweeters in a linearray setup
Thoughts?

Hide this!Advertise here!