scoop style midbass horn. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2013, 03:01 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

ok not that i'm intimately familiar with mini dsp but i'm pretty sure they have delay functions built in that could help.
the other thing i'm wondering is have you experimented with the relative phase of low to mid high?
in the days of old when crossovers didn't have phase selection it was almost standard practice to "invert" the mid with respect to the low in order to smooth the response across the crossover region.i'm probably wrong but not knowing how steep your filters are you could be getting phase cancellation between your sub and mid high box.(which can be worse or better depending on the distance between the two)

Last edited by turk 182; 24th October 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 24th October 2013, 03:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

ah a karlson freddi good thinking!
Old 24th October 2013, 09:27 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

heres my setup.

Click the image to open in full size.

and i have previously set it up like this,

Click the image to open in full size.

my aim is to end up with 6 subs perside, and to have as many tops needed to work with it. when i finally end up with enough, they will get stacked like my first pic, but obviously 6 instead of 4.

do the karlson style have good projection? it looks like the curtains would hinder output?
Old 24th October 2013, 11:11 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

indeed the karlson's are good projectors!
have a chance to explore potential phase problems?
if you want more info on the karlson's check out the karlsonator thread or reach out to xrk971 or freddi
Old 25th October 2013, 12:45 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

last time the system was out i played with delay and phase, noticed a decent change with delay, but phase didnt seem to make much if any difference.

ill check out the karlsons.
Old 25th October 2013, 02:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

where you delaying the low or mid band? and by how much?
Old 25th October 2013, 03:15 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

i delayed the tops, i didnt collect the time, but it was estimating approx 1.5m of delay.

the crossover filter is approx 80 @12db/oct on bass, and about 120hz@12db/oct on the tops.

any higher on the bass and it sounds a bit hollow, and any lower on the tops and it starts getting to excursion limits.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:02 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
the crossover filter is approx 80 @12db/oct on bass, and about 120hz@12db/oct on the tops.
As the bass are THs, I suggest using a higher-order filter if possible. 48db/oct if possible. You can then run them a little higher before they start to sound "hollow".

Another idea - use something like HolmImpulse to measure the effect of using delay in the x-over region. It should be to difficult to find the best setting.
Old 28th October 2013, 01:04 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

imo i felt they sounded better with a softer slope on the XO.

in other news, i stumbled upon FreeSpeakerPlans site and quite like the MT130 cab. in triples, i can get flat from 90-300hz at 108db@1w. in singles, the lowest response was at 100hz, which was at approx 100db@1w but picked up to 105db(200hz) so if i knock the 200hz down on the EQ i could end up with reasonably flat response and still be louder than i am now on the same power.

which is what im looking for.

i know the MT130 is a FLH rather than scoop/TH but the FLH will also help with upper mids too. so kills a couple birds with one stone, and are reasonable sized too.

Hide this!Advertise here!