an alliterative to hdf high density fiber board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > PA Systems

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2013, 06:07 AM   #1
betas is offline betas  United States
diyAudio Member

Default an alliterative to hdf high density fiber board

well i was thinking of using 2 layers of 1/2 inch mdf with a piece of 1/4 inch plate steel glued together with epoxy i have a design that allows for a ported speaker to act as if it was a much larger sealed enclosure involving polystyrene the pink foam board and polystyrene foam the yellow stuff used in furniture my issue is i am planing on housing something along the lines of 2 12 inch cerwin vegas pumping a sum min total of 500 watts in a cabinet no bigger then 7.5 cubic feet and and the main enclosure would be be between 5 and 6 cubic feet exactly how to get such a cabinet design to work is another thread but i need this speaker to be small easy 2 man carry and able to large outdoor venues the pressure wwill be very high it was boarder line for a pair of radio shack 15 inch speakers using 3/4 mdf but they held so i need to know if i can do something to stiffen mdf instead of using hdf and i am not wanting to do die-cast aluminum i want to make this in a basement shop so if i have to use hdf or double 3/4 mdf that is cool

Last edited by betas; 5th October 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 06:53 AM   #2
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Carry and outdoor? Now you are speaking birch plywood. 18mm braced or 9mm ply-Stiff closed foam-9mm ply lamination. I do not believe in the musical qualities that Ply is supposed to have over MDF. But as far as ruggedness, high strength to weight ratio, resistance to whetness, abrasion, shock impacts and so on Ply is so much better than MDF/HDF/chipboard. The inner layer is quite protected so for cost reasons the 9mm plywood could be replaced with 6mm high density board.

A 200 liter box with 2x19mm MDF will be terrible to carry, and while doubling the thickness is improving the performance a much more weight efficient way is to use crossbraces of hardwood inside a 1x19mm box
Old 5th October 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

1" thick MDF with 1/4" plate steel in a 7.5 cu. ft. cabinet? that would be a 2 man carry if they had a fork truck!!!
Old 5th October 2013, 07:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

if weight was not an issue i would use something called paper stone its more or less super high density fiberboard and has a stone like hardness to it but sound quality comes first on this the cabinet size i am talking about is what i will have to go with as i already have the rough plans laid out just need to fine tune them to an exact speaker driver if i have use HDF or more then 1 inch mdf this is gonna be problem to move http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/atta...p4300543_2.jpg

we are expecting some weight the application are 2 fold block parties as a side job and main focus promoting local rappers at private events so we want to move the gear in plug and play and move out 2-3 hours later and cover up to 5 acres and 1000 people at some point right now block parties we need to hit it out of the park at a few block parties so we can get some rep for our independent film company witch and we do do referrals for recording contracts hoping to have our own label at some point
Old 5th October 2013, 07:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

well wheels and and a ramp its doable but still not easy its for a 2 fold application block parties were we need to hit out of the park for easy publicity the other main use would be large outdoor venues to help publicize local rappers we have a small independent film company trying to get off the ground we do music videos and have recording referrals we need to get the gear in plug and play and move out 2-3 hours later i have seen a local carnaval were the sound man brings in 212 cubic speakers and 2 10 cubic footers then a dozen mics and bundle of cables about as thick as a fire hose i am not wanting to do that we need a 2 channel amp 2 speakers one mic and a 12 band EQ and a 6 channel mixer
Old 5th October 2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There is a reason that almost all real P.A. cabinets are made of birch ply. It's what works best for the use. It's nice to experiment, just take into consideration that a LOT of people have been down the road before you. They still use plywood. DrBoar has told use why. Just something to keep in mind while you make plans.

Please also remember, punctuation help legibility.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
MDF, HDF and chip board falls to bits when wet. Birch ply and fibre glass wadding is the way to go. It has been used for a lot of years and is tried and tested.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:23 PM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The cheapest building ply gives the best stiffness and strength
to weight ratio, used in thicker but lighter sections than birch.

rgds, sreten.

Forget 1/4" steel plate for anything portable and never use
it as the centre section of a sandwich, that is totally wrong.

Ply/Foamboard/Ply is a good option.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:27 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betas View Post
.... i have a design that allows for a ported speaker
to act as if it was a much larger sealed enclosure ...
Hi, I'm pretty certain you don't, rgds, sreten.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Why not look at composites? They are used extensively in aircraft because of their stiffness and light weight. Check out:

http://www.hexcel.com/Resources/Data...Technology.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!