2 X 10" Faital 10 PR300 DJ monitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have these 2 Faital 10" neo laying around would like to build a single DJ monitor (ported) with a ribbon horn in the middle slightly higher placed than woofers centerline. Would like to cross around 2kHz to the ribbon and also would like to know a box ready Xover like the eminence to use. Box should be tuned around 50hz, can anyone help me point to the right direction maybe there is already a plan in this site or other articles from here? Will also try a powerplate from parts express to handle power for the 2 woofers and ribbon.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I found an old set of plans from Beyma 2 X 10" with a 1 " horn on top will be starting soon I have the Faitals and the B&C ME 45 and the DE 250 coming next week. Any ideas on ready build passive crossover maybe 2kHz point was looking at Dayton at partsexpress? Thanks!

DECISION #1... construct a true full-range 3-way by adding a "real" woofer, OR construct a limited bass 2.5-way using equalization on the second 10PR300, OR use just one 10PR300 in a ported box down to 65Hz

==============
The Faital 10PR300 has an Fs=60Hz, and Qtc=0.25, and Xmax=5mm, and 98db/watt efficiency .... it is a pro midrange, and not a woofer. So, you will need to decide if you want to purchase a "real" woofer and construct a true 3-way for deep bass, or if you want to use the second 10PR300 with EXTREME bass equalization to get limited bass(Xmax=5mm) from this 2.5-way topology. You cannot run the two 10PR300s together because a small mid-tweeter center-to-center distance is required to avoid lobing and also to have a smooth polar response transistion between the midrange and tweeter. You must crossover the second/bass 10PR300 at around 300Hz(the baffle step for a 16" wide box) so its highest output wavelength does not interfere with the tweeter and generate NULLs.

I do not have polar response curves for the Faital 10PR300, so look over the 10W16P example attached to see how this 10" speaker starts to BEAM at 90 degrees around 1250Hz. With a LR4 Xover at 1250Hz, this 90 degree polar response from the midrange will just match the 90 degree polar response from the SEOS12(or similar) waveguide tweeter. SMOOTH transistion. I think you will get the best sound using one 10PR300 midbass in a stuffed sealed box crossed with an LR4 slope at 1.2Khz to a SEOS12 waveguide with a 1" compression driver. To reduce lobing, it is important to butt the waveguide next to the 10PR300. Home page DIY Sound Group

NOW, you need a DECISION on bass:
1) construct a true full-range 3-way by adding a "real" woofer;
2) construct a limited bass 2.5-way using equalization on the second 10PR300
NOTE: in (1) and (2) the midrange 10PR300 is in a sealed box for best transients
3) Skip the woofer and use just one 10PR300 in a ported cabinet and accept ~65Hz bass limitation.

Simple simulations for the 10PR300 show a good ported box starting point might be a 35-40L box tuned to 68 hz. This is +/- 2db over the passband with a 1 db peak around 75 hz and a 2 db pipe resonance around 515 hz.

See you on the other side... of this decision.

Attachments

• SomePolars x10.jpg
    SomePolars x10.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 232
3) Skip the woofer and use just one 10PR300 in a ported cabinet and accept ~65Hz bass limitation.

DJ monitors don't need to go down as low as the PA. 65 Hz is fine. Clarity on top is more important, which means get the crossover right. Unless you can measure your drivers, find an econowave plan that uses YOUR compression driver and waveguide/horn and the same size midbass. Copy that crossover, don't buy a ready-made one.

Thanks LineSource, I kinda thought of a 3 way box from poweraudio.ro/plans it takes a 15" and a sealed 10" and I think a 1" or 1.4" CD but then again this will complicate the build with a 3-way passive. I do not have crossover plans for such a 3-way from those sites plans. i do have a PD 15" I think a PD154 or PD156 in storage brand new. I can take this further and build another 3-way for a DJ pair which I have SLA Pros and Omni 12 TB with 4 2X BP102 loaded Tuba 24's. I know also that when B&C produced the DE25 this DE250 is an upgrade. I can use one 3-way top for DJ monitor duties but I wouldn't know where to begin to formulate a 3-way crossover? maybe I can call marchand? Nice horn SEOS12 does the plastic version sound nice?

wg_ski where can I find econowave? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.