All Horn System Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a thread to document my build, it will take some time and updates may be sparse but I wanted to share and input is always appreciated.

The Plan:
4 Lab Horns powered by 2 QSC RMX 5050s
4 HD15s powered by 2 RMX 1850HD or something similar
4 MT121 midrange horn sections (not sure what amps yet)
2 JBL 2446Js with 2385A Horns (not sure on amp yet)
Array of Bullet Tweeters (not sure on this part yet)
DBX DriveRack 260

So far I have one of the 5050s, 4 Lab Horns on the way, the 244Js with 2385A Horns and the Driverack.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!

Yes I will use the drive rack for that, specially for the folded horn subs and kicks.
The tweeters will require the most delay, followed by the high mids and low mids, the Labhorns will use no delay.
The DBX DR 260 has only six outputs, so is limited to three way stereo use.
A stereo 5 way PA would require two DR 260 and 10 amp channels.

Last edited:
whats up underslung. glad to see you're getting into soundsystems (Hennessey/dirtygypsy here)

the labhorn is a great box (Reconstrvt!!!), but with a little research you might be able to find something better ;).

Is there a reason you are using 2 rmx 5050s for 4 labhorns? do you plan on parallel (4 ohm boxes, ish) or series wiring (16 ohm ISH) the pair of labs in each box? in Parallel, the lab will take 50v, in series it will take twice that (100v). the rmx5050 puts out about 90volts into 8 ohms (not enough for series wired boxes) and about 70v into a 2 ohm load (still well above the 50v required by the labhorn) this means 4 boxes per amp (with par wired boxes) max, and your running near or below a 2 ohm load.

I would recomend a SINGLE Crown itech 8000 or 9000hd. at 8 (and 4 ohm) its rated for about 110 volts, meaning if you series wire your boxes, you can run 8! labhorns per amp easily. they can be found used for less than 2k.

that being said... are you dead set on the Labhorn? you got people to help you carry em :)

whats up underslung. glad to see you're getting into soundsystems (Hennessey/dirtygypsy here)

the labhorn is a great box (Reconstrvt!!!), but with a little research you might be able to find something better ;).

that being said... are you dead set on the Labhorn? you got people to help you carry em :)

labs are the best they have won the shootout for like since they were invented. Both in clarity and loudness. the only disadvantage is their weight. :big grin:

the only disadvantage is their weight. :big grin:

Not the only disadvantage. Power compression is up there pretty high on the list too - and the only way to mitigate that is more weight (more boxes). If you do that, things can get really interesting.... but it's a heck of a job to set up.

The motors on the B&C's we can get now were a pipe dream back when the lab was invented. What I'd like to see is a modern implementation, using a modern motor - that can keep up small-signal. In both output at 2.83V and extension. Which would smoke the old design when hit with 1500 watts of average power :D. I doubt it would weigh much more, and a big stack would be incredible. Get into an SPL clash with THAT and you'd be getting somewhere.

Theres a reason danley sells the dbh218 and gave the labhorn away for free imo ;) same size, similar weight, smoother response more extension, more powerhandling. Makes sense theres a pair of big honking bc neo 18 inside. Bin fact it looks like just one 18sw115 in a flh will handle similar voltage to a series wired pair of lab12, in half the box aize and still win in output with similar extension.

Is there a reason you are using 2 rmx 5050s for 4 labhorns? do you plan on parallel (4 ohm boxes, ish) or series wiring (16 ohm ISH) the pair of labs in each box? in Parallel, the lab will take 50v, in series it will take twice that (100v). the rmx5050 puts out about 90volts into 8 ohms (not enough for series wired boxes) and about 70v into a 2 ohm load (still well above the 50v required by the labhorn) this means 4 boxes per amp (with par wired boxes) max, and your running near or below a 2 ohm load.

I would recomend a SINGLE Crown itech 8000 or 9000hd. at 8 (and 4 ohm) its rated for about 110 volts, meaning if you series wire your boxes, you can run 8! labhorns per amp easily. they can be found used for less than 2k.

Hey man!

I've already ordered the labs and only cause I got a smoking deal on them. I was going to go a lot smaller and build everything myself until I came up on these and couldn't pass them by. Same goes for the 5050, I got a deal on it (could buy three at the price for one used 9000hd). Basically all the purchased components I'm waiting to get deals on, the rest of the boxes I will build myself. Which is perfect cause I'm in no rush to get the system finished as I'm just doing it for fun.

did you actually buy the boxes themselves, or just the drivers?

btw, heres my rough start sim on the 18SW115 horn (4stack) compared to the lab sub (in a 4xstack). fold forthcoming :D. should fit in half the size though maybe

Attachments

• labVSsw115 340 l 4stack.jpg
    labVSsw115 340 l 4stack.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.