Need help with a midbass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see now you were recommending build a synergy horn!

I'm afraid I doubt I could do something that complex. Would be nice someday but thinking baby steps first.
Actually, the building of a SH-50 Synergy is easier than the La Scala or some of the other folded horns.
The JH-90 is more difficult, as it incorporates a large FH (or TH, I'm too burnt after dealing with a rain/coal dirt flooded shop after a 13 hour day at work)with the conical mid/high horn.

Using passive crossovers with the Synergy type horns requires some genius to get right, using DSP is far easier but still requires measurement & integration skills.

Of course, proper optimization of Cobraflex and FH also requires measurement & integration skills :).

I rough sketched a Belle to fit one 4'x8' sheet - look how an 1823M with ~30uF highpass performed on my Cobraflex vs 511 vs SM120 - wonder how much effect a curved baffle would have on the Cobraflex low end? SM120 looks pretty bad in this situation - was that from Z interaction? - short path? - both?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Actually, the building of a SH-50 Synergy is easier than the La Scala or some of the other folded horns.

If you know of any plans for building a synergy horn I would love to try one for my own rig.
As far as designing and planning one from scratch, ... that "woosh" you hear is the entire modern sound industry flying away over my head...
-It seems like I just wasted a few evenings googling as much as I could about "synergy" and Unity type horns and I really came away from it bewildered.
Speakers, DIY and the PA industry have all seemed to have gotten so complicated I've decided it's not worth the race to keep up (It's like trying to have a current and non-obsolete computer :)
For this project (and my own PA projects too) I'm going to stick with what I know.

Therefore the cobraflex will work fine along with some basic reflex boxes with 15's in them. As that is exactly what I'm accomplishing everything right now and it works quite well and can perform much louder than they want to go!
I have an old Shure P4800 DSP running the setup for now and can actually boost the bass a bit if needed without eating up all the headroom I have. I was originally thinking one or 2 horns would replace the 4 boxes I'm using but in the long run I can slap together equivalent boxes cheap and easy without ever having to miter a single panel :)

The JH-90 is more difficult, as it incorporates a large FH (or TH, I'm too burnt after dealing with a rain/coal dirt flooded shop after a 13 hour day at work)

You weren't in that colorado rain by any chance? -hopefully there was minimal damages.

I'm just stupid-busy up here in the (soon-to-be) "great white north" trying to get all the summer projects done before the cold hits.

We are way too small a town for any Danley JH product. It is a square and the football field is on one corner of it and the grain elevator on the opposite corner. As the crow flies that distance is less than that speaker can throw. Hoist a couple of those onto the water tower and I can just cover the whole town!

Using passive crossovers with the Synergy type horns requires some genius to get right, using DSP is far easier but still requires measurement & integration skills.
Probably out of my range -hell, I don't even know what "FIR" is, or "IIR", or an "all-pass filter" and still wondering what's so damn important about an "end-fire" array yet everyone seems to think they are vitally important to good sound. All I know is that nobody has ever faulted me for a bad mix or poor sound on any of my installs :)

Of course, proper optimization of Cobraflex and FH also requires measurement & integration skills :).

Got that, -it took a while and a lot of back-and-forth running across the field to listen and verify but overall everyone is impressed. I really don't have a good measuring system here with me other than my ears:)

Meanwhile in the middle of all this I did manage to do my very first re-cone on an EV 15 so fairly pleased with that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.