Build cabinet for Peavey 18" Low Rider Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i will purchase 2ea Peavey 18" Low Rider , need help with box size and ports would like to be at least 32" high x 24" wide x 24" deep to stack qsc hpr153i on top each subwoofer . will cross at 100hz or 80hz . would like to have sub go as low as 35hz and still hear it . i have two sp118 now with black widow 1801-8 speakers now only go dow to 40hz as per specs

The first table of box designs is from the Peavy Low Rider 18 documentation.

The second SPL plot is from WinISD of a 0.707 ported cabinet, and a sealed cabinet that has an active Linkwitz equalization circuit set to 20Hz with Qts=0.7.
Sealed woofers with digital room equalization are becoming more popular for homes(small room relative to bass wavelengths), and clubs or recording studios where a flat response is important.

Attachments

• LowRider18 Box.JPG
    LowRider18 Box.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 702
  • Peavy Port SealedLinkwitz.JPG
    Peavy Port SealedLinkwitz.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
wow that sealed box is very impressive.
is that at 1 watt?

As the sealed box + Linkwitz Transform simulation illustrates, it takes 1-watt to produce 96db SPL at 50Hz, it takes 10-watts to produce 96db SPL at 30Hz.

A Linkwitz Transform equalization circuit uses large amounts of amplifier power to extend low frequencty bass when the speaker is in a modest volume sealed cabinet. A sealed box has the potential to produce better controlled bass with lower group delay and lower phase variation when compared to ported(bass reflex) cabinet, but it is less efficient. A ported box is more efficient and will deliver higher SPLs at equivalent power.

Sealed bass boxes are becoming popular for home audio for their "tigher" bass, and greater simplicity for digital equalization to cover: personal hearing needs, room eqalization, loudness boost (ISO226 FletcherMunson), complex Xovers.

Attachments

• LinkwitzEqual AmplifierPower.JPG
    LinkwitzEqual AmplifierPower.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 550
if its for PA-DJ work then a Karlson may work - lowrider doesn't have the strongest motor qes-wise - the rectangular indications on the side view of this drawing are pockets for handles.

plan for Cetec-Gauss 5181 K18 Karlson coupler
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/825/gaussbracing.jpg

one built and loaded with JBL
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
i will purchase 2ea Peavey 18" Low Rider , need help with box size and ports would like to be at least 32" high x 24" wide x 24" deep to stack qsc hpr153i on top each subwoofer . will cross at 100hz or 80hz . would like to have sub go as low as 35hz and still hear it . i have two sp118 now with black widow 1801-8 speakers now only go dow to 40hz as per specs

Hi,
I had build quite a few boxes in the past for Peavey 18" Low Rider. (Kindly open attached folder to view plan). It performed very well. I had even compared it with original QW118. The results were quite similar.
I had even tried the dual 18 design, QW218. All I can say It was the best sounding Peavey lows that I had ever heard. I mean both the designs, single & dual.

Attachments

• low rider 18 Plans.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 380
With reference to the attached box dimension for the Peaver 18" low-rider in my previous post #12.
I had drawn a 3-d drawing of the box here again which might be of some help understanding the internal bracings and the port area.

Attachments

• LO-RIDER BOX 3-D DRAWINGS.png
    LO-RIDER BOX 3-D DRAWINGS.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 552
i will purchase 2ea Peavey 18" Low Rider.

Before you purchase the Low-Rider's, I would like to inform you that there are three generations of Low-Rider 18 produced by Peavey. All of these were marked with the same model no. (1808-8 HPS). All differ on the cones fitted with.
The earlier one had a Progressive m-roll surround / light weight composite fiber-glass smooth cone (American cone).
And the second one had a progressive two roll asymmetrical surround / heavy weight composite kevlar ribbed cone ( European UKM cone) . You can identify this one stamped UKM along with the cone no. at the rear of the cone.
Present generation Low-Rider 18 has a similar kevlar-ribbed / medium weight American cone like the UKM one. Both these ribbed cone sounds and performs better than the earlier smooth one.
As for my opinion the second one, the one with the European kurt-muller (UKM) cone is the best of all.
You can see both of these in the attached pics.

Attachments

• Smooth cone low-rider 18.jpg
    Smooth cone low-rider 18.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 400
  • Ribbed cone low-rider 18.jpg
    Ribbed cone low-rider 18.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 366
WinISD plots with T/S data:

GREEN: Early Peavey LowRider-18 with 163 gram Mms smooth cone. Note 7.8 ft^3 box.

ORANGE: Latest Peavey LowRider-18 with 198 gram Mms ribbed cone. Note 12.8 ft^3 box.

PURPLE: Beyma 18LX60v1 for comparison. Note 12.6 ft^3 box.

Typical comparison of box volume vs. bass F3 vs. SPL efficiency

Attachments

• Peavey18_Beyma18.JPG
    Peavey18_Beyma18.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 336
Correct application?

With reference to the attached box dimension for the Peaver 18" low-rider in my previous post #12.
I had drawn a 3-d drawing of the box here again which might be of some help understanding the internal bracings and the port area.

Hi, I'm planning to build a high sensitivity speaker to be used with my moderately low power (40 wpc) amp.

I have the 100 to 20000 range covered.

The peavey 18 low rider offers a high SPL 1m/1w and feels like it may be a good choice to cover ~30 to 100Hz.

How do you think this would work with only 40 watts in a small room?

Also, if my goal is to keep the bass as tight and musical as I can, is a small ported box better than a large ported box? (I know that choosing a different woofer designed for a sealed enclosure would be best, but I'm trying to save the cost of buying additional amps, and LT, etc for now). BTW, music only, no home theater use. Rock, jazz, not much if any hiphop.

Please share your thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.