kickbin-mid/top suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi peeps ive been running my new selenium tweeters (d220ti) above my Delta12a drivers for a few gigs now and i do say that i very much enjoy the way they sound. very clean, crisp loud drivers with reasonable slappy bunchy bass.

problem is, im getting to the point in growing my mobile DJ rig where some gigs i just cant have my SS15 subs on, not even just one, due to bass travelling farther than id like in dense residential areas.

so what im looking to do in the near future is add to my top cabs wether that be building another pair of basic bass reflex single 12inch driver cabs, or building a 212 type cab with dual 12inch drivers+tweeter, or going the horn loaded route and run something like a HD212 type kick horn with a tweeter in the middle of the mouth.

this rig firstly is mine, so its aimed to be an outdoor rig (think forest/bush doof) playing predominantly EDM/Psy/DnB/Dubstep etc because thats my first interest and from that design point, it just happens to sound nice on other types of music because of the effort i put in in the first place.

so as a second purpose, its also a wedding rig, so quite often gets used also outside, but inside as well. last wedding i did was inside on a suspension floor and it was TERRIBLE. i ran a single SS15 sub and my two Delta12/D220ti tops and the bass was louder outside than it was inside coz the floor was soaking it up.

now comes the options im weighing up.

my first thought is just a dual woofer sealed cab with two Eminence Delta 12a drivers, and the D220ti on top.

like this but sealed (or ported maybe??)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

second is the same cab, but with the tweeter in the center, and a waveguide on the front resembling an MT122

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

third is a double stacked LaScala cab with the tweeter horn horizontal across the center

and my fourth idea is a HD212, again with the tweeter across the mouth.

im not afraid of woodworking, but weight is a concern as ill be lifting these onto tripods, myself and the single woofer cabs are already getting on the heavy side.

pack space, is also not specifically a concern, so single cabs that are modular could also be worked into the scheme as well.

my last Q is this.

im tossing up between buying another pair of Eminence Delta 12a, or 4x Celestion Tru Vox 1225 12" drivers instead, for the same price as two Deltas. Which would you go, and why? and then, which would be better suited to what?

Thanks In advance.

^^that HD212 is actually a HD215 but i was gonna put 12inch drivers in it.

hope that helps.

ive decided to build a pair of HD215 cabs. I was tossing up between a 215 or 2x15 but I think with a pair of wheels and a handle it wont be too difficult to manage.

I currently have a quad of SS15 subs which happily run down to 40-50hz but cant quite keep up the volume if crossed off above 100-120 and the tops just cant keep up the volume to match the subs crossed off that low.

so now, i can cross the subs lower, 80~ and the tops higher 200~ and have a good quality filler. ie HD215.

the other reason for going with the HD cabs is i can use them as a light duty subwoofer for smaller (read residential) gigs where BIG bass is generally frowned upon for quite a few streets away... ive read they can go down to about 60-ish Hz with reasonable authority of which my current tops just can not do.

once my tax clears, and i get some money from gigs ive been DJing at (www.facebook.com/itkixx) i will be aiming straight for a quad of JB1500N drivers (apparently a JBL copy??) Fs-Audio JB1500N 15" Pro Series Pa Subwoofer 1200watt theyre what i have in my SS15 sub cabs and they sound amazing, and have been reliable this far. i power them with an EP4000 behringer amp, and barely get warm when pumping

once the HD215s get built, the next point of attack i think will be my tops and from there i will most definately be building something along the line of MT122 style cab.

if anyone has any input before i make any purchases im open ears.

pretty much settled on the kick bin but it would seem not so great above ~200hz??

HR simulates a distinct drop above 200hz.. so ive been working on a new uppermid section in HR, I'll be building a trial one this coming thursday, pending on weather and other unimaginables...

gonna be running somewhat "cheap" drivers to start with, I simulated the proper ones in this horn, and i get quite a nice response.

what i need to know, is if the 8" is XO at 150-500hz and the 6" are XO at 500-6khz, will i get any wierd cancellations having them at opposite ends of the horn?? do i need to move the 6" closer to the throat?

i want them further out, as they are fairly crisp/smooth sounding drivers, i dont want the sound getting lost if theyre mounted deeper into the horn. so i just need this cleared up, beyond that, ill be building one on Thursday.

and here are the drivers in question, and how i have the EQ setup to have them sound as clean as i can at first glance. obviously this will probably have to change once theyre mounted into their locations.

LMK what you think :)

I would think of a kick bin as just that, a way to offload the normal tops so they don't have to provide the large transients needed for chest pounding drums.
Think of it as an instrument speaker like for an electric guitar but for drums instead.
It would then have to be mixed by itself and take up one monitor channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.