Crown CE2000 fault light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Google Is Your Friend...

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/legacy/125645.pdf
Fault Indicators
Two red LEDs (one for each channel) are located on
the front panel. The Fault Indicators are normally
OFF, but will blink under five different conditions:

1. When the amplifier is first powered up, until the
unit is ready for operation.

2. If the heatsinks reach a temperature above normal
working limits.

3. If the transformer thermal protection circuit is
activated.

4. If the amplifier output wires develop a short-circuit.

5. If the amplifier output stage stops operating.

Dan.

Thank's for the response, glad to see it's normal.

What is the general consensus on the reliability of this amp? this will be the 3rd big main amp I'v had to replace in the last 3 years (kenwood ka-701, then a yamaha m-65) and I'm hoping it will last at least another 3 years for heavy home use. I love vintage home audio, but I feel like switching to pa gear will be the answer for reliability and big power.

I plan to buy this crown for $160 tomorrow, does this seem like a good deal? I'v read that this is crowns "budget" amp and it makes me a bit nervous... I have no experience with pa gear, I usually prefer vintage stuff.

Last edited:
My experience, and PA/hire experience of Crown/Amcron gear is that it is essentially bulletproof.
High power, good damping but not particularly low THD.
Great for sound reinforcement but don't expect fine/musical home replay performance.
For $160.00 you have nothing to lose, and for home use you have effectively 'infinite' power capability.
My advice is to open it and compressed air blast all dust/junk out of heatsinks and boards and give it a go.

Dan.

Also, how does this amp perform for sub woofer duty, does it fall out a bit from 50-30hz like allot of amps seem to? Will it play ultra low frequency or does it have filter?

I know my old Yamaha was a great main amp but had no guts at 30hz, is this gonna be that kind of amp?

Yea it works pretty good, I have to say though i expected a little more power. Into an 8 ohm load It doesn't seem very much more powerful then my old m-65. into a 4 ohm load on my sub woofer it is pretty impressive but I kind of expected it to have so much power that I wouldn't be able to max it out from what I'v read about these. It's about a perfect match for my dayton 18", it clips rite about when the woofer looks like its a little over xmax (one channel, not bridge).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.